What to do with this old kit?

Associate
I've got this old pc lying around doing nowt right now, but I don't want to bin it as it was the very first pc I built for myself back when this was top of the range stuff!
Several pcs have come and gone since, but this one has ended up coming back to me form other people twice now! It all works perfectly, if a little slow!

Case&PSU: some generic AT case with similarly generic PSU
CPU: AMD K6-2 400Mhz
Mobo: Luckystar (I think) with 5MVP3 chipset
RAM: 192Mb Crucial 100Mhz
HDD: Seagate 6.4Gb
Sound: Creative Soundblaster PCI16
Graphics: 3dfx Voodoo3
NIC: Netgear 100Mbit
Optical: BTC 52x CDRom

I don't want to bin it - but what can I use it for? I don't need a firewall cause I've already got one, but does anyone have any other ideas? NAS box maybe?

Associate
OP
Thanks Stelly. Only two problems with that are I've never really used Linux, and wouldn't have any idea how to setup a proxy server! Got any links to how I could do that, or which distro of Linux to use?

Associate
OP
Actually, what about using it for a mailserver/storage?

I've got a desktop and my wife is getting a laptop soon - it would be useful if we could both retrieve our emails etc from either machine. Would it work just to change the setting in Outlook on both machines to point at a file on this old kit? Or would I need to be running Exchange Server or sommat (which I really don't want to have to fork out for!)

Associate
OP
RameY said:
HDD is a bit small for a file server =P

True, but then I'd be able to move the HDDs I've got in my main rig which currently store my MP3s etc into it, leaving me with just the OS and games etc on the HDD in my main rig.

I like the idea of a server running from it - I'm presuming I could run Linux on the current 6.4Gb HDD to run a mailserver, and then just leave the NTFS-formatted drives for storage to be viewed as a network drive by the WinXP desktop and laptop. Would that work?

Back
Top Bottom