What to check...On a bike?

Permabanned
I'm taking my CBT shortly to grab myself a little 125 for commuting. That bit's easy; turn up, pootle around, they go 'omfg penski! how did you get to be so leet?! please pleasure our teenage daughters!!!1onetwoeleventyfive' and I get passed.

But - I've never bought a bike before. I know what I'm looking at with cars...What do I need to look at on a prospective bike?

Budget isn't extortionate...in fact it's minimal - I'd rather spend the money on something with four wheels ;).

86_1.JPG

On Ebay a few miles away from me for a hunner't quid. 2003 bike, 6 months' tax on it. Insurance would be £305 (Bennets - just did a quick quote). Bargainous?

Anyhoo - what should I check if I go look at it?

Cheers,

*n

Permabanned
OP
moss said:
I just couldnt imagine you riding a modern scooter like that, I thought you would have some kinda rat bike :p

Why do people have this impression that I hate anything made after 1987? :/

Anyhoo...Anything I do get won't be stock-looking for long. ;)

*n

Soldato
penski said:
Why do people have this impression that I hate anything made after 1987? :/

Anyhoo...Anything I do get won't be stock-looking for long. ;)

*n

I dont think you dislike anything made after 1987, that scooter just looks a million miles from something you would have, its not satin black/rusty or slammed to start with :p

So what plans do you have?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Things to look out for.
First thing is make sure the previous homosexual owner is not behind you when you bend over to inspect it.
If he is not about then tip the bike onto one leg of its stand and give the back wheel a damn good shaking. Feel for play on the wheel bearing and swinging arm.
Check the front fork seals and front forks. Make sure the seals are good and the forks aren't pitted. Make sure it is Cold before you start it and then see how it starts and how much smoke it chucks out and what colour.
Lastly check it has not been thrown down the road.
Looks pretty clean from that pick though, almost like someone has used a nice feather duster on it. :)

Permabanned
OP
Cheers, malc.

YOU ARE BIDDING TO BUY This very economical mode of transport. This is a MBK 125 Twist and go Scooter. All the parts are Yamaha so you know you are getting a good bike. I bought this two years ago to travel to work and it has never let me down. £6 fills the tank and gets you around 250 miles. I dont use it anymore and now I need the shed space. The bike is in tip top condition and is ready to drive away. Please dont make any silly buy it now offers. I will be prepared to end the auction if a decent offer is put forward and the person pays through paypal. Good Luck.

11k on the clock :/

Am I right in thinking that these are essentially rebadged Yam Maxsters imported by MBK?

*n

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Made by Yamaha ( Europe ) and rebadged from what i can tell. 4 stroke so the miles shouldn't be a problem. 65 top speed Wooohoooo. Liquid cooled and insurance group ERS:6.

First mod would be ripping that fly screen off.

Permabanned
OP
malc30 said:
Made by Yamaha ( Europe ) and rebadged from what i can tell. 4 stroke so the miles shouldn't be a problem. 65 top speed Wooohoooo.

I'd never need to take it outside a 40 zone ;)

...That said, with 18 stone of beardy northerner onboard, I can't see it breaking 40...

*n

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Forgot to say check that disc for any scoring aswell.
Use everything i have mentioned to kick him in the sacks as far as the price goes. Just bid it up get it then go and kick his sacks good and proper.
Also lift the seat and check under there for any dodgyness. If the battery is there then check there has been no leaking causing premature rotting.

Associate
forks (seals) , rust (if your bothered) , crash damage , make sure it rides ok , oh and check all the elec's work , speedo :p , indi's , brakes..ect
:o enjoy the endless miles you can do on a tank of petrol :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Not a huge amount to check to be honest.

Check the steering turns smoothly, if it's grindy or notchy then the bearings might be shot. Unlikely though.

Check for play in the front suspension and steering. Pull the front brake (right hand lever) and push the bike back and forth, it should go back and forth a bit on the springs but no play.

Check it for major repair work and if you get any bad feelings about it walk away, it might not ride straight. The odd dent is fine as it's almost inevitable at that mileage that it has been down at some point.

CHECK IT'S NOT NICKED!!!

Basically once you've got it it's worth spending £100 on a full service with the spark plug, oil and drive belt replaced, it'll make the transmission like new and make it ride like a new bike again. Brakes and stuff are dead cheap and easy to fit yourself but the engine and transmission stuff is uber fiddly and worth paying someone to do.

Oh and mine will do 60 with two of us on it so you'll be fine.

Edit, don't worry if the seat catch is busted, they get broken into all the time so it's not worth keep replacing it. Just keep your chain in there and maybe an A to Z, but definitely not your crash helmet or gloves.

Back
Top Bottom