Engine getting too hot?

Associate
Advice needed please.

The cooling fan on my car (406 diesel) isnt kicking in till the temp is about 75% of the way up on the guage (which sometimes means that its nearly touching the red before the fan starts to do the business).

Is this normal, should the fan cut in sooner?

Ta.

Nelly

Soldato
Depends on the car really.

I'd look in the handbook if you have one to check when the fan should cut in.

It also depends on how sensitive the temp sensors are. Jumping up to 75% on the gauge in your car may only show 50% on the gauge in another car (if you get me).

My gauge doesn't ever move, even up to the point when the fan cuts in.

Soldato
Bill101 said:
In 10 years of driving a TD Golf the fans only ever came on once.

Everytime the woman next door pulls into our estate in her 55 plate Focus TDCi, the cooling fans are running.

:confused:

Mine don't even come on sitting in slow traffic on the way home, and there's no traffic after you get off the main road leading to my house (about a mile away from the main road).

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

Managed to speak to my mechanic and he said basically the same as agw_01, with regard to diff sensors across diff cars.
Main thing is that it is working.

Cheers.

Nelly

Soldato
just to add, some cars take the temperature reading for the guage from a different sensor to that which supplies the switching for the fan too ;)

by that i mean that the temp guage may takes its signal from a thermostatic switch in the thermostat housing/area which is always going to read hotter than the radiator switch which controls the fan in a lot of cases, due to the direct cooling that the radiator receives.

not always as straight forward, but there are plenty of engines out there that run that sort of configuration :)

Back
Top Bottom