why is eve-online so good?

Associate
Hi,

just started playing eve because everyone was raving about it but to be honest im pretty bored, ive spent hours watching my ship fly its self from planet to planet delivering parcels.

What is it that everyone finds so good about this game? Any suggestions to make it more fun for me?

Matt

Soldato
When you get to a higher level you are able to open the packages mid flight, 90% of them include pr0n for your viewing pleasure
edit: sorry im in a bad mood

Last edited:
Soldato
I love space, science fiction ... I used to hate the big polituics in 0.0 before I got myself down there ... now I love it.

I love the risk ... the tactics ... the ships and modules. I love the teamwork, the amount of stuff you can do :)

I'm biased as I've been playing for 2 and a half years though, but even now I am absolutely poor at fighting, a 3 month old character will easily kill me, I have focussed on support skills.

Associate
OP
but how do i do this stuff?? say i want to pvp how on earth do i know whether or not it will be an even fight? There is no clear way of determining how much harder a target is... or is there?

I used to play DAoC and they had a handy colour scheme which easily identified which targets i should avoid.

Soldato
You have to give it time. It's very boring at the beginning, without exception really.

It's very difficult to sum up why I like EVE so much, but I think it's mainly the depth. The thing that makes EVE unique is that players make their own content and don't rely on the developers for it. A good way of illustrating the sheer depth of EVE is the alliance territorial map:
http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=331220

The map shows the different regions owned by the various alliances in EVE. Note that every single alliance is formed and run independantly by the players of EVE, with no intervention from devs. At first, a few years ago, there wasn't even any official ingame alliance system. Players just banded together, occupied an area of space and called themselves an alliance. There's now an ingame alliance system that has been introduced as a result of players forming these alliances. The biggest alliance at the moment ASCN (Ascendant Frontier) consiting of around 3700 players. The biggest alliances ever to have existsed in EVE, however, were, I think, the CA (Curse Alliance) and XF (Xetic Federation), each with about 5000+ players, although they fell apart a long time ago.

All of the interesting stuff (i.e. alliance warfare) happens out in the lawless tracts of 0.0 space. It's kind of difficult to get involved in this as a noob, you need to join a player corp in order to actually stand a chance in 0.0.

edit: put the old alliance map link in :o

Last edited:
Soldato
SoapSurgeon said:
but how do i do this stuff?? say i want to pvp how on earth do i know whether or not it will be an even fight? There is no clear way of determining how much harder a target is... or is there?

I used to play DAoC and they had a handy colour scheme which easily identified which targets i should avoid.
That's just the thing about EVE, it's not easy on noobs, and there's no clear cut way of knowing whether you can win a fight. It's all down to experience.

If you join a good player corp, they'll show you the ropes.

Associate
OP
Inquisitor said:
That's just the thing about EVE, it's not easy on noobs, and there's no clear cut way of knowing whether you can win a fight. It's all down to experience.

If you join a good player corp, they'll show you the ropes.

any recommendations?

Soldato
There are 3 main corps with members on this forum:

• OcUK (obviously :p) - an empire based industrial corp, good for noobs
  • STK Scientific - a well established 0.0 based PvP and industrial corp, member of ASCN
  • British Space Corps - another very well established 0.0 based PvP/industrial corp, member of E.R.A. One of the 10 oldest corps in EVE with a history going back several years before EVE, started off in Earth and Beyond ;)

I'm a member of the BSC myself :)

Soldato
im so tempted to pick up eve again now that ive quit wow. truely one of the best games ive really ever played.

would my account still be alive with my stuff? left it for about a year now. i'd want to level a bit more then join a proper 0.0 pvp corp and destroy some outposts.

Soldato
Anim said:
im so tempted to pick up eve again now that ive quit wow. truely one of the best games ive really ever played.

would my account still be alive with my stuff? left it for about a year now. i'd want to level a bit more then join a proper 0.0 pvp corp and destroy some outposts.

Yup, yout character will still exist, afaik CCP havent deleted any characters themselves (may be wrong)

Associate
VaderDSL said:
Yup, yout character will still exist, afaik CCP havent deleted any characters themselves (may be wrong)

Well, thats good to know if true. Haven't played for a few months myself and may go back end of this year. I always thought it was a 6 month cutoff but maybe they never upheld it?

It would be a shame to lose 2 1/2 years of grinding. Was gonna activate the account just before the 6 months was up just to keep it safe. But I really haven't got the time to get back into it properly atm...

Back
Top Bottom