Focus RS....?

Associate
I currently own a Golf GTI Diesel 25th Anni (due to circumstances beyond my control i had to have a diesel for work) very nice car for a smoky oil buring tree killer :D

anyway new job now.....

For reasons that include me, my elise and a crash barrier coming together last Novemeber my friendly insurance people will only let me transfer my insurance to a car of the same group or lower.

Impreza NO
Civic R NO
M3 NO
DC5 NO
etc
etc

I almost gave up

Focus RS..... YES! what?????? you wont insure a WRX but you will a FRS! Same group (16) as a diesel golf :eek:

Fair enough..... admittedly a couple of hundred quid extra but nothing major!

Question is

Should I get one???? Anyone owned/driven one?

and whats the dif between a Phase 1 and Phase 2?

Is the torque steer as bad as reported?

Servicing costs? and interval?

AND approx how many miles to a tank of optimax and how much to fill?

Ta peeps

Associate
OP
olv said:
wouldn't it be easier to just change insurer?

ahhhhh

im half way through the year and my accident lost me 3 years NCB, if I can stay with them for 6 months I gain another year. If i move now I lose 6 months :(

Soldato
spoonz said:
im half way through the year and my accident lost me 3 years NCB, if I can stay with them for 6 months I gain another year. If i move now I lose 6 months :(
Sorry to be off topic, but even if you stayed the 6 months would you still not lose your no claims, as you claimed? Hence losing your entitlement for NCB?

Associate
a mate of mine had a focus rs up untill about a year ago and he traded it in for a 147gta.having driven both i would say the focus is definately the drivers choice and deffo looks the part but i wouldnt have been able to live with the terrible interior and the tramlining on bumpy roads.apart from that its a very good car tbh but the alfa he got was better looking and a fair bit quicker but not as engaging a drive and its an alfa so will depreciate fast and break down lots judt like my alfa lol
if your looking for something sporty,well built and a good overall package have a look at a leon cupra r 225 as these are highly underated cars.its basically the same chassis as your golf except all the fun has been kept cos vw havnt been anywhere near it despite it basically being a vw.

how about a 6 month old focus st(the new 225bhp one)?looks a tidy motor.

rich

Associate
OP
smokedog said:
Sorry to be off topic, but even if you stayed the 6 months would you still not lose your no claims, as you claimed? Hence losing your entitlement for NCB?

sorry ill explain

I had 5 years

I lost 3 years on last years policy

i renewed with 2

I will have 3 if I stay till end of this year

If i move now i will be 6 months behind and need to get to 5 ASAP

Associate
OP
beast20vt said:
a mate of mine had a focus rs up untill about a year ago and he traded it in for a 147gta.having driven both i would say the focus is definately the drivers choice and deffo looks the part but i wouldnt have been able to live with the terrible interior and the tramlining on bumpy roads.apart from that its a very good car tbh but the alfa he got was better looking and a fair bit quicker but not as engaging a drive and its an alfa so will depreciate fast and break down lots judt like my alfa lol
if your looking for something sporty,well built and a good overall package have a look at a leon cupra r 225 as these are highly underated cars.its basically the same chassis as your golf except all the fun has been kept cos vw havnt been anywhere near it despite it basically being a vw.

how about a 6 month old focus st(the new 225bhp one)?looks a tidy motor.

rich

got to be Group 16 so my options are limited till march when im planning on a e46 m3

Soldato
L0rdMike said:
Most prob a bit of a mix. I get about that from my MR2 with mixed driving.

:( I've just decided that I don't want a turbo anymore.

I'm quite happy with my 400 miles to £40 (on a motorway run) thank you very much ;)

Soldato
Jonnycoupe said:
Do you drive at 50mph Andy cos your looking at 40+mpg there.

You'd be suprised actually.

When I went down to Combe in April, I filled the car up with £40's worth of fuel. Did about 390 miles when I pulled into my driveway at home (and this included a detour to pick up Cableguy). For the first 80 miles I was doing about 65mph (3250rpm). The rest of the way was over 70mph and higher than 3500rpm.

Then, at the RR... I did bang on 500 miles over the whole weekend. Total cost of fuel for the whole weekend was about £55. That included some pretty quick driving on the way there (4000rpm, 80mph) along the motorway and country roads and then lots of hard acceleration on the way from westy's to the RR.

Associate
231bhp and boring as hell,also dont feel anywhere like 231bhp.also they are common as much,just like golfs and m3's lol.not sure on insurance,thought 17

rich

Soldato
Jonnycoupe said:
Any turbo cars that spends any significant time on boost must be pretty slow anyway.

Do you drive at 50mph Andy cos your looking at 40+mpg there.
Mine DRINKS the stuff, looking at roughly 25~30mpg just about everywhere, but i tend to go a bit quicker on the mway....

OT but now my Proxes are broken in, damn they grip! Andy, buy some really expensive yoko's or something so i can compare like for like :p

Soldato
My polybushes came today :D (well, the first lot... got a few more to order to make a full set)

Also, going to order some Eagles' next month to put on the front. The ones on the front, some budget brand can go on the rear.

In the dry they grip like a ***********, so there's no way they'll break traction being on the rear. These Rovers' are more fun than people think.

I've had a few people watching me with an :eek: expression on their faces, the speed I nip around roundabouts at :cool:

Sorry for the OTness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom