Annoying your neighbours

Man of Honour
First of all this should be in GD so that more people can see it.

I started playing in bands at age 12 with my Dad but none of the neighbours ever knew we played musical instruments because they were kept at a minimum volume. if I wanted to play my music I turned it at ear shattering volumes WITH HEADPHONES ON. Even now, 36 years on from then and I have a house that has got guitar rigs, bass rigs and part of a 5000 watt PA system but not one of my neighbours hears music coming from this house. Even at my age I love my metal at ear shattering volumes but I still wear headphones to listen to it. Not once in my 48 years of life can anybody complain that my music is loud (except when I play in pubs and clubs at stupid levels).

When I first got married 26 years ago we moved into our terraced house in Fenton not far from OCUK and soon after we had a girl neighbour. She made our lives hell. She only had one record which was Two Tribes by Frankie Goes To Hollywood and she played it on repeat at a very loud volume. This could happen at anytime day or night and it got to the point where you couldn't settle because all you did was wait for the music to start. She put this record on when she went out to deter burglars :eek: Many times I've been kicking her door only to find her walking up the street. We were glad when she had a TV but once again it was so loud that I had to have a pair of headphones if I wanted to watch a different channel than her. We didn't need the sound on our TV because hers was that loud and once again it could come on at anytime day or night. I ended up getting in touch with a local mafia (thats what we called them) who I paid £50 up front to break in and steal her TV and stereo, however on the night of the job I rang to call it off. We put up with it for about a year and we sold the house. When potential buyers came I begged her to not play anything until they went and she did comply. In those days you didn't have to reveal you had bad neighbours. Three weeks after we left the new owner of our old house rang to ask if we ever had trouble with noise to which I admitted we had and I had to give a statement for his solicitors. In the end she got kicked out for her continuous noise.

willhub - you can't imagine what its like to be in that situation where you have a noisy neighbour and every minute of your day is taken up by wondering when the play button is going to be pressed. I'd get in from work and I'd shake waiting for the music to kick in. I'd go to bed at night and we couldn't get a good nights sleep because we knew it would kick in. Even if it didn't kick in we thought it would. We've now had 23 years of noise free living (except kids) and do you know that I still have a pair of headphones by my TV which I never use because she had that much impact on me.

Soldato
errata said:
willhub should take note

My EH dept employers regularly get a warrant and seize equipment when
faced with behaviour like his. We take everthing capable of making excessive
music noise, hifi , playstations, PC, speakers, CD's, MP3's the lot and you
have to go to court just to try to get it back.

We often go back the follwoing week as well as many smart alecs say stuff
it and go to argos for some cheap gear and carry on as before.

I imagine diaries of noise are being compiled by more than one neighbour,
maybe a digital tape recorder is in place or an EHO will observe the next
excessive noise event. An abatement notice is about due!

The noise complaints will be logged and when nearby houses are sold buyers
will get the record and it could make house sales fall through which will make
his family very popular.

I say let the neighbours play nusery songs really loud at irregular intervals
when dad is sleeping off the nightshift and see it that still feels right.

Otherwise its classic teenage empathy deficit

But at least he has had a good stab a defending his point of view

a BOF

Thats abit stupid taking everything, why not just speakers, as a playstation and a pc aint capable of making noise withought speakers, if you refering to the fans and everyhting, thats just darn right stupid.
What usually happens around here is, they complain, we get a letter, they write diary, they then get a voice meter installed, we then get court, then stuff taken away if we loose. My dad sleeps untill about 2PM becouse of NightShift, i dont play loud music whilst anyone is sleeping.

dmpoole, nothing i do is anywere near as bad as what you or anyone describe, once of twice through the day i have my music loud, usually 10mins each time, and that happens about 3 times, sometimes never, also i NEVER EVER play loud music between the hours of 9PM and 11AM-2PM, sometimes i stop playing music at about 8PM, i used to play it really bad, sometimes hours at loud volumes ages ago, but not anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
dmpoole, thats very respectful of your neighbours peace using headphones, but frequent use of headphones at ear splitting level is a recipe for long term deafness, much more so than with speakers. I personally wouldn't reccomend that. But, to be honest, why not just use speakers at a moderate level? I rarely feel compelled to turn it up really loud and generally enjoy music at a level not too much higher than talking volume.

Man of Honour
Dr.EM said:
dmpoole, thats very respectful of your neighbours peace using headphones, but frequent use of headphones at ear splitting level is a recipe for long term deafness,

The secret is to use quality headphones. Mine cost £250 back in the early 80's.
However, no I wouldn't recommend it either but I've been lucky.

Associate
playing music in a household is all common sense. People who play loud music through speakers into the early hours know they are doing it, they are just not well brought up. Decent people, and usually those who actually like good music usually go hand in hand. That's why you only hear hip-hop/drum'n'bass being blasted at inappropriate hours, instead of funk, jazz, prog rock, classical etc.

No Swearing, Big Kev people like No Swearing, Big Kev things and behave ******

Suspended
devilkazuya said:
playing music in a household is all common sense. People who play loud music through speakers into the early hours know they are doing it, they are just not well brought up. Decent people, and usually those who actually like good music usually go hand in hand. That's why you only hear hip-hop/drum'n'bass being blasted at inappropriate hours, instead of funk, jazz, prog rock, classical etc.

No Swearing, Big Kev people like No Swearing, Big Kev things and behave ******

yeh good point, never thought about the type of music being played. Maybe because most older people dont stay up till 4am or whatever and like techno/hip hop etc edit- however ive just listened to a live version of police, message in a bottle mixed by organ donors!

Soldato
I get the impression that everyone hates Hip-Hop, small doses of it is ok, its better liking loads of kinds of music more than one type. It's good to have music loud sometimes. i dont think most people stay up untill 4am, i go to sleep at 12am, well thats only becouse my parents make me, and i am 17 :eek:

Suspended
having a neighbour on one side thats hardly ever in and mates on the other, surrounded by other students mean tunes can be played quite high most times. like now :)

Soldato
you live on some sort of campus? i would have thought you wouldent be alloud to play loud music, dont any of the students ever complain?

Last night was a first that i have heard in this village, 1am and someone in the village was blasting out awfull creapy classic tunes that soun like there in horror movies lol, you could hear a high pitched wine in the house, thought it was my mum snoring untill i stuck my head out of the windows and heard someone blasting tunes out near me at 1am :mad:

Associate
devilkazuya said:
No Swearing, Big Kev
I resent the way you stereotype hip hop fans (the insult is implied).

At best, it suggests close mindedness, or worse; at worse, it's flamebait.. neither beneficial to your credibility.

Last edited:
Soldato
willhub said:
i dont think most people stay up untill 4am, i go to sleep at 12am, well thats only becouse my parents make me, and i am 17 :eek:
While I kinda find it odd that your parents make you go to bed, some people know when to draw the line, while some people are real nightbirds. Theres a mix, it's not a case of everyone staying up to 4am. :)

Suspended
Phnom_Penh said:
While I kinda find it odd that your parents make you go to bed, some people know when to draw the line, while some people are real nightbirds. Theres a mix, it's not a case of everyone staying up to 4am. :)

...unless you work/worked a nightshift :p

Soldato
Heh, i dont even have a job, i go to my uncles accross the road, he gives me £10 each time i fix an extreamly easy problem :p, i am going to college anyway next year again, dont really want a job yet. I am at home all summer holidays, i wonder what nextdoor thought of that, i bet there were not too happy about that, they will be happy now, not played music loud for 2 days now, it will be like living in paradise to them.

Soldato
no they wont be worrying for the next attack at all lol. If they complain about the level i have it now its going all the way up and am gunna put the sub right against there wall to make there lives hell if they complain for the noise level its at now, i got sub at half volume and main volume at 2, its quiet.

Soldato
willhub said:
no they wont be worrying for the next attack at all lol. If they complain about the level i have it now its going all the way up and am gunna put the sub right against there wall to make there lives hell if they complain for the noise level its at now, i got sub at half volume and main volume at 2, its quiet.

Have fun in court getting your equipment back if they get the council involved further then ;)

Back
Top Bottom