wireless adsl speeds

Associate
Ok i have a D-link DSL-G624T adsl2/2+wireless with the usb wireless dongle. The router is connected next to the tv where the master socket is. My main computer is upstairs and across a bit but gets an 'excellent' connection.

I also have a laptop i use with a built in wireless card, which i use in the lounge which also gets an 'excellent' connection. I'm on an upto 8mbps line also.

The problem is my download speeds. I didn't realise until browsing through this section what i maybe should be getting. Tried downloading a simple media file at 5.45 am (12 mb) and got around 180kbps speeds.
Now with them throttling at peak times ( i'm with Eclipse) i could have understood this but at this time in the morning???
Any thoughts on what may be the problem?

Regards

Jobe

Soldato
What speed are you connected at?
You say up to 8mb but not the connection speed.

It could be the site your downloading from that is slow. Try a few different sites.

Associate
OP
sorry mate but not sure what you mean by the speed i'm connected at. It just says connected at 54mbps but it always says that ( i thought cos that's the max it can connect at).
It hardly ever tops the speed i've mentioned. In peak times it can be as low as 54kbps which is hardly fast is it? Even when i had a usb wired modem the speeds were very similar. Been downloading from various sites at various times and it still never gets any faster.
Jobe

Associate
You need to check the speed that the router is connected at. The manual should tell you how to access the router, and bring up a connection status screen. You should then see a connection speed there. The one you are reporting is the connection speed between the PC and the router, which if its 54mbps is not causing a bottleneck.

Associate
OP
ok found this. Hope it's the right stuff.
SNR margin 14dB downstream 20dB upstream
line attenuation 46dB and 28dB
data rate 1824 and 448 both kbps

Is that telling me the max download speed is 1.8mbps. :confused:
If so i hope it can be changed

Associate
OP
why would restarting it put sync rate up (is that the data rate)
Also does it not matter if the snr value goes down.
I believe you but would like to know why?
And i guess by restarting you mean pull the power and then re power?
(don't laugh pls)

Soldato
im also gettin bad d/l speeds with BT only seems to have happened in the last 2 weeks, im only getting like 3 times 56k speed on a 2 meg connection and thats anytime of the day although its connected at 2272kbps, beginning to wonder if BT are trying to force me to go adsl max.

any thoughts tolien as you seem to be the man who knows

Caporegime
Jobe said:
why would restarting it put sync rate up (is that the data rate)

Because it'll reconnect and go through the whole rate adaption process again.

Also does it not matter if the snr value goes down.

Not particularly, unless it goes down too far (which might explain why it's so high in the first place).

And i guess by restarting you mean pull the power and then re power?

Yep.

im also gettin bad d/l speeds with BT only seems to have happened in the last 2 weeks, im only getting like 3 times 56k speed on a 2 meg connection and thats anytime of the day although its connected at 2272kbps, beginning to wonder if BT are trying to force me to go adsl max.

Congestion, crappy ISP, shortage of magic smoke?
BT Speedtest (see FAQ) would be a start.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks mr T. I don't suppose you have a link to anywhere that explains about this do you. It'll be easier if i read it somewhere rather than ask you a million questions
Jobe

Associate
OP
Thanks for that Phemo. I'll read it in more detail later.
One thing Tolien said about resetting my modem....if i do this will all the settings my isp told me to put in be wiped clear or do they stay as they are.
Also there is a reset switch on there. Will this just reset it or clear all the settings.
Jobe

p.s. sorry for all the noob questions but the basic things you experts take for granted are not so basic to some of us :)

Soldato
To reboot the router just unplug the power and plug it back in - the settings are saved to flash memory so they'll still be there when it powers back up. The little reset buttons routers are often to restore to factory defaults.

Back
Top Bottom