IP address problem

ajm

ajm

Associate
Since yesterday my sons wireless pc can't connect to the web.I have had a look to see if i can find the problem and so far i have...

The IP address is 169.254.68.177 instead of 192.168.1.102 (For Linksys)
When i disable it and enable again to retrieve a new ip it just goes in the same range 169.254.**.***
My son said he never changed or installed anything new.
Using WinXP pro with Linksys 54g pci card.
Also a second pc on the wireless network is running just fine with the correct ip.

Any suggestions please?

Soldato
It is getting a 169.254.x.x address because it can't talk to the DHCP server in the router and grab an IP from there.

My guess is that the WEP/WPA key on that particular PC has been fiddled about with. Re-enter the correct key and you should be set to go.

Windows is pretty awful at saying when a key is incorrect, so it isn't uncommon for Windows to report that it is connected to the wireless network when it actually isn't.

ajm

ajm

Associate
OP
I think that is the problem but not too sure as iu don't know much about networks and server stuff.
My guess is that the WEP/WPA key on that particular PC has been fiddled about with. Re-enter the correct key and you should be set to go.
Could you please give me instructions on how to do this as i have never done it before.

Back
Top Bottom