OC Problems. X6800 / DFI Infinity 975x

Soldato
DFI Infinity 975X (0707Bios)
X6800 stepping 6 b2
2Gb Corsair XMS2 8500 DDR2 Ram
and if it matters, Gainward 7900GTX with latest beta drivers.

I'm cooling on air, using a vapochill micro extreme, getting temps of about 56c load @3.31.

Which I would like to mention, is a son of a ***** to install that cooler, I think I MAY have put too much thermal paste (as5) on it, or not enough, not sure, read you put about a grain of rice or so on it and move it around a bit, but I never did that.

I've tried a multitude of settings, from what i've read around about.
Basically...

Multiplier is at x11 as you can't go higher on this board for some reason, I can't go to 320FSB or above.

Tried increasing voltages with no luck, on both the ram and cpu.
Also changed the FSB:RAM ratio, 400/533/800 doesn't change anything.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, what other information would you guys need to help me with my problem?

Post Screen, this is as far as I get on 320 FSB and 'freezes' here.

CPU

RAM, 800 in this pic, tried 400 also

cpuz1.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
i aint no expert with this board but the pci clock sync looks fishy to me

the part in the second pic that says 'pcie clock sync with - cpu clock'

shouldnt that be set to manual (which would allow the setting in blue 1 line below to be unlocked) then left at 100mhz (which would lock it at 100 no matter what cpu speed you use)

at the moment it looks to me like your clocking it a in sync with the cpu...

Soldato
well spotted, that should be se to sync to pci-express and then the feild underneath is changeable (but should be set to 100)

i managed to get a nice 400 fsb on this board + easyrider has too

Associate
We did that, and it passesd BIOS ok at last, but now Windows won't boot (stuck on scrolling blue bar...two minutes so far)

(I'm here with ChrisJSY)

Associate
Upping the voltage worked great, and it's excellent to learn that the Corsair is rated at 2.2V, that should make life easier.

Now booted at 3.52GHz, and going to start benching.

Soldato
try sticking active cooling on the northbridge, was pretty toasty when i was using it, i stuck a 60mm fan over the silver heatsink to get it down to 40ish

Soldato
OP
Okay, found a NB fan on an old mobo, had to do a little modifications but it's stable... at around 70c.

I dare not raise the fsb anymore because it won't really like that ;[
I guess it's either unlocked multi when ever it works or watercooling from here on in.

Cheers guys for all the help.

Soldato
OP
lay-z-boy said:
Wow these retail chips suck *doesnt buy conroe*

No they don't :confused:
It's the DFI board having passive cooling on the NB , meaning you need to really buy a new one.
Which practically every review overclocking on it failed to mention, and the temps in my room are nice.

I'm a little dissapointed with this DFI board, to be honest I was going with the ASUS originally but a friend mentioned this would be better, now i'm regretting it, i'll wait till he gets his and see how it fairs up.

For now, ....hmmm on the search for a good NB hsf.

Back
Top Bottom