Tomb Raider : Legend

Soldato
just started playing the pc version of this game... seems ok so far but the controls are a bit carp.

anyway, the one thing that is driving me insane is draging boxes/crates. how the hell are you supposed to do this? it seems to be entirely down to luck if the crate goes where you want it to. i mean how can you drag left/right - a la soul reaver? (as if you were strafing with the crate)

i just can't work out how to get the crates where i want them at all. VERY frustrating. :(

Soldato
This game is fantastic, all be it a little too short.

However do yourself a huge favour and use a joypad, it makes things easier, simpler and therefore more enjoyable.

I tried it with the keyboard at first and could't play it at all using the combo, so just plugged my ps2 pad in and it was great.

Soldato
OP
Fubar said:
This game is fantastic, all be it a little too short.

However do yourself a huge favour and use a joypad, it makes things easier, simpler and therefore more enjoyable.

I tried it with the keyboard at first and could't play it at all using the combo, so just plugged my ps2 pad in and it was great.
tried it with both ps2 pad+usb adapter and mouse/keyboard.
finding the latter to be MUCH easier.

anyway, crate advice?

Soldato
OP
and what the hell are you supposed to do about the one-handed grab/pathetinc clawing at wall thing? can you do anything at all, or is it just there to say "haha! our crap controls have just raped you! now watch as you plumet to your death"?

Associate
lol... the controls on PC aren't too bad, i completed the game on PC, though when i say complete, i mean all the levels, but i never got all the items and secrets..etc in Croft's Manor.

I played the first few missions on PS2 as well and so much easier it truly is, the controls are far easier, but must say the PC version looked way nicer.

I did try plugging my ps2 controller in and playing it, but the controls just couldn't be configured like the way the PS2 is, it was a nightmare but it just didn't work for some reason and then i gave up... :rolleyes:

Dragging the crates took some time to get use to, it's like a seasaw sort of motion if you see what i mean, if you drag one way the crate goes the other way, sort of makes it more realistic - think it's emphasising the push and pull actions, but something you need to get your head around. I found swimming under water the hardest - difficult to control rather than the crates. The best thing about this game is the slow motion effects - running up their chest then springboarding off and shooting them in mid air... :eek:

I must admit i probably couldn't complete the game if it wasn't without a walkthrough. :D

Soldato
I found the control system pretty good on the PC using the 360 Controller.

Pushing a crate is a bit like towing a trailor in reverse gear.

Walk left to push it right, and vice versa

Soldato
bah people playing tomb raider games on a console! i pity you :p

i much prefer playing TR games on the PC, but its what im used to using, managed to complete TR 1 2 3 4 AoD but not played Legend a lot =[

Associate
Never had any problems. Controls are dead easy. Just plugged my ps2 pad into the PC and it automatically defaulted to the ps2 controls. Didnt have to change anything. :) I dont see how you can struggle to move the boxes. Seemed pretty straight forward to me. :confused:

Soldato
OP
tsinc80697 said:
bah people playing tomb raider games on a console! i pity you :p

i much prefer playing TR games on the PC, but its what im used to using, managed to complete TR 1 2 3 4 AoD but not played Legend a lot =[
TR:AOD was pitiful. TR:L is only [slightly] better...

7 (legend) is kind of like tomb raider... only without lara croft.. or decent gameplay.

in fact i'd say tomb raider legend is tomb raider, only dumbed down for the xbox generation.

Last edited:
Associate
seek said:
TR:AOD was pitiful. TR:L is only [slightly] better...

7 (legend) is kind of like tomb raider... only without lara croft.. or decent gameplay.

in fact i'd say tomb raider legend is tomb raider... only dumbed down for the xbox generation.

AOD was a shambles. Legend is a massive improvement, but the game is too short. TR1 and 2 are my favourites, but those games haven't aged well. I wouldn't say Legend was 'dumbed down', but it is a bit too linear. The only thing I didn't really like in Legend are those daft interactive cutscenes. I cant do with poop like that.

Soldato
OP
skullman said:
AOD was a shambles. Legend is a massive improvement, but the game is too short. TR1 and 2 are my favourites, but those games haven't aged well. I wouldn't say Legend was 'dumbed down', but it is a bit too linear. The only thing I didn't really like in Legend are those daft interactive cutscenes. I cant do with poop like that.
i rate 1-3 equally.

and i'm guessing you never played LR/C all the way through?

LR was one of the hardest games i've ever played... and i never once had to worry about lara not doing what i wanted.

Associate
seek said:
i rate 1-3 equally.

and i'm guessing you never played LR/C all the way through?

LR was one of the hardest games i've ever played... and i never once had to worry about lara not doing what i wanted.

I don't think the older TR's were particularly hard, unless you count all the frustrating 'trial and error' (especially in TR3). No actual 'skill' was required as such, nor reflexes due to the dated control method based on the infamous "grid-system".

After I completed 1 and 2 on the PS1 I got into PC gaming, and after playing games like Half Life, Tomb Raider looked dated. Stuff like the awkward controls and naff camera control which were forgivable in the beginning, became more apparent. Apart from slightly better gfx nothing had changed....at all. I bought all the Tomb Raiders (apart from AOD. The demo alone was enough to put me off) hoping the next one would add some sort of innovation from the last to hold my interest....but sadly, not for me. I only bought Legend because Eidos had finally taken Tomb Raider away from Core (who were frankly milking it) and given it to someone who at least tried something different. Legend is the first TR game I've played all the way through since TR2 :(

Associate
seek said:
ok, i have to admit it gets better the more you play. :o

anyway how do you shoot gas canisters/barrels etc? i can't seem to lock on to them.

Not sure. I know theres stuff you can shoot that shows a yellow triangle interactive marker "!" thing. I think the default is E.

Associate
AWPC said:
Make sure you apply the 1.2 patch as it makes a big difference to the next gen gfx options & FPS.

If you have an nvidia card disable AA and use all the other next gen options as AA with all the next gen options messes the gfx up.

For more info/tech help:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201

How much better does it look with next gen content enabled? I'm only asking cos my X1800XT should arrive tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
AWPC said:
Make sure you apply the 1.2 patch as it makes a big difference to the next gen gfx options & FPS.

If you have an nvidia card disable AA and use all the other next gen options as AA with all the next gen options messes the gfx up.
i'm on a ti4600 here, so probably best not to bother with the next gen stuff! :D

as for framerate, well i havn't noticed any issues at all yet, so if it aint broke...

how do you check what framerate you are getting? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom