New Radbox

Soldato
I haven't decided whether to actually use this but I was sitting around watching the Open and started playing with some spare parts.

An old Samcheer case
A Nova Heatercore
A Comair Patriot 172mm 24v fan
Two Eheim 1250s
A Criticool Waterplant reservoir
Some tubing

This is the result.

radbox1.jpg

The reservoir feeds the nearest pump which feeds the next one which feeds the radiator which merely loops back into the reservoir at the moment. The intention would be for the radiator to then feed my old Whitewater then back to the reservoir. The radbox would sit next to the actual computer.

The big problem with the setup is that with both pumps switched on, the flow is so strong that the system is a bugger to bleed. The reservoir is simply not big enough. To get round that I bled the system with just one pump running. I know the second pump may only be adding a small amount of extra pressure and it's adding some heat to the loop but what else am I going to do with the damn things!

They are duct-taped together and sat on a cut up sample of Tempur body-form mattress stuff, no vibrations whatsoever.

The fan is powered by the QTec PSU which has nothing else to do so don't give me any grief. I'm running the fan at 12v because the QTec has no -12v so I can't do 24v even if I wanted to and 17v is still too loud. The fan won't start at less than 12v but at 12v it's pretty quiet.

Soldato
OP
Nothing needs two 1250s but it's like Hilary said after climbing Everest: "Because it's there". I had them on the shelf and wanted to see if I could put them in a case elegantly.

Sig updated (although I kinda liked the old one. I know it was full of dead links and rubbish posts but still...)

Wise Guy
Soldato
Now, you know i'm a fan of radboxes, i've built three myself, but for as neat and well laid out as this one is it just seems quite pointless to me. 2 1250's? a single nova heatercore?

My current radbox uses a single (fairly low lph) pump and 2 Cavalier heatercores (which are an inch bigger than nova ones) in series (which worked out a couple of c better than in parallel). I found dual rads gave me FAR better temps than dual pumps on my not-shy-on-the-heat-output prescott. When i furst added in the second rad i was amazed at the temp drop, even with the fans at 7v compared to the 12v i had to run them at before.

IMO a nice box but not very well thought out tbh, sorry.

Soldato
OP
Oh shush! :p Lighten up! I will probably never use it but I can't get that core in my Antec and all these bits are just sitting around doing nothing. With this thing I could actually quantify how much temperature drop is achieved by adding a second 1250. Hmm, maybe this is worth doing just to prove it's not worth doing :)

Wise Guy
Soldato
MikeTimbers said:
With this thing I could actually quantify how much temperature drop is achieved by adding a second 1250. Hmm, maybe this is worth doing just to prove it's not worth doing :)

That actualy sounds worth doing and quite interesting tbh m8 :)

Go for it i say!

Back
Top Bottom