how do you spread your thermal paste ?

Soldato
I always used to spread a thin layer over the core on my naked die's ... i.e the old XP's but as soon as the IHS was introduced by AMD (finally) I used the AS method :)

Soldato
Mr Spoon said:
I always put a thin layer across the whole core before applying the heat sink. my temps are a bit high though

That's because you are putting too much on...too much can impede the transfer of heat.

Like it says on the website, a grain of rice size in the middle, then put your HSF on and twist it slightly to the left and then right which spreads it out properly.

Jobs a good'un.

*edit* I see you have a system that is going to be pumping out a lot of heat...have you got enough airflow through the system to remove the buildup of hot air?

Soldato
Put a bit of cling film on the end of your finger,then spread it out,you get a really thin even layer that way ;)

Been doing it that way for the last few years now

Rob

Associate
OP
TheBigCheese said:
*edit* I see you have a system that is going to be pumping out a lot of heat...have you got enough airflow through the system to remove the buildup of hot air?

I doubt it, at the front there are 2x80mm fans blowing in but theres no direct air flow in - infact you cant see them from the front of the case, they also have metal fan filters on them, so not too much air flow. The rear of the case has a 120mm fan, and there is an 80mm fan with filter blowing air in on the side.
At the moment though I am running it with the side off, it goes up by 3 or 4 degrees when idle if I put the side back on.

I might reapply the thermal compound then, but its a fair bit of work stripping it all down again.

Associate
OP
Rob43 said:
Put a bit of cling film on the end of your finger,then spread it out,you get a really thin even layer that way ;)

Been doing it that way for the last few years now

Rob
hmm, not heard of that method before, i use a thin strip of plastic at the moment - like a credit card thing but thinner.

Soldato
Why don't you just try the method that Arctic Silver recommends?

Sounds like lack of airflow will be a problem, the HSF can only blow the air that is there...if it's already hot it won't be very effective.

Soldato
The old method I used to use was using a coolermaster template, then putting a line of paste at one end and then spreading it across with a credit card :) (This was in the good old days when you put the paste on the heatsink ;)).

Soldato
for old socket A, gpu cores and NB's i always use a bit of cling film on the end of my finger and spread out a blob of it, can get a really nice thin layer on then

with A64 i just put a blob in hte middle and let t e heatsink spread it out as per the AC webby

Associate
Originally i did have a thin layer spread across the core using credit card method. Then people kept suggesting the AS way so I thought why not. I don't know if it placebo or not or which ways is the most efficient.

My friend kept telling me just stick down one grain of AS on the core. But I felt really uncomfortable doing this so I stuck a little extra on for peace of mind.

Soldato
Foehammer2003 said:
I use MX-1 on my CPU and GPU lol, cant seem to spread that stuff out for some reason!? So not really a lot of choice but to use the AS method, seems to work tho! :)

Of course it works. AS I would imagine have some insight as to how best to apply thermal paste :D

There is also the matter of where the heat is on the IHS. No point spreading it all over the IHS when 99% of the heat goes right through the middle!

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom