Which sat nav?

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Hi all,

I’m looking to buy a sat nav system for my car about £500 max if anyone can recommend me either a nav man or tomtom which works really well and doesn’t make you go down the wrong place etc would be grateful I’ve not researched much on sat nav at all if anyone has tips etc about them please post 

Soldato
Holy lack of punctuation batman! My brain almost exploded by the end of the 'sentence' :p

Note: tongue in cheek, no offence intended

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
OCdt Stringy said:
Holy lack of punctuation batman! My brain almost exploded by the end of the 'sentence' :p

Note: tongue in cheek, no offence intended

lol :p just typed cba with that punctuation malarkey ... its a forum tbh :p

Associate
The TomTom Go 910 is a very good piece of kit, but, do you really need all the "extras"?
It's an mp3 player. Having a 20gb HDD built-in put me off - not sure how well it will stand up to the heat, or being bashed about. The one (possibly) useful feature of the 910 is the text-to-speech reader, so it can read out road names, etc.

All the current Go series (510, 710, 910) have the same satnav features and screen. The 710 adds full European maps, the 910 adds USA maps, mp3, etc.

After much thought, I went for the 510, as I didn't feel that the extra gimmicks were worth spending another £150. With the addition of a few extra Points of Interest database files (supermarkets, DIY stores and banks, the places I have to visit for my job), and a decent speed camera database (the TomTom database isn't that comprehensive), it does everything I want.
No satnav is foolproof, but it's great if you don't know where you're going. You still need to pay attention to road signs, as the maps are always out of date by a year or so.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
I think the only thing I wouldn’t use is the mp3 player but then again it saves having CD's spread about the car. I love the text to speech idea that is cool, and that I can hands free, also but Bluetooth on my phone drains like bugger I never (I mean ever) use my phone when I drive. I even have a headset also and I still never use that..Lol anyone have the 910 personally? Does it ever go wrong e.g. weather interference etc?

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
OP
clockworks said:
No satnav is foolproof, but it's great if you don't know where you're going. You still need to pay attention to road signs, as the maps are always out of date by a year or so.

but you can update the maps over the usb cable no? since the uk/ireland/usa maps are preloaded?

Soldato
I've got TomTom on my phone (Eten G500), works like a charm! vid here. Phone has the same speed processor as the TTG910, and it cost me less than half the price! (and it's a Windows Mobile 5 phone - so you get Messenger, etc and all the usual phone benefits).

Last edited:
Associate
Mp4 said:
but you can update the maps over the usb cable no? since the uk/ireland/usa maps are preloaded?

The maps are preloaded (SD card or HDD) and can be updated, but it takes a long time for the basic electronic map data to get updated with new roads, etc. Once the basic maps are updated (there are 2 or 3 mapping companies), the satnav manufacturers have to buy the new data, convert it to the right format, and issue it to the end user. I read somewhere that it can take up to 2 years to reach the customer.

It would be nice if they released more frequent updates, free of charge, then a complete update once a year, paid for.

Maybe there's a business opportunity for a third party?

Associate
Durzel said:
I've got TomTom on my phone (Eten G500), works like a charm! vid here. Phone has the same speed processor as the TTG910, and it cost me less than half the price! (and it's a Windows Mobile 5 phone - so you get Messenger, etc and all the usual phone benefits).

A colleague of mine recently got an MDA Pro - PDA, 3G phone - and TomTom software. He still uses his TomTom One, rather than the phone. A dedicated device is a much neater solution - no trailing wires, external GPS receiver, etc.

Soldato
clockworks said:
A colleague of mine recently got an MDA Pro - PDA, 3G phone - and TomTom software. He still uses his TomTom One, rather than the phone. A dedicated device is a much neater solution - no trailing wires, external GPS receiver, etc.
Sorry should've said - the phone has GPS (SiRF Star III, same as TomTom 910) built in, so all I carry around is the phone, and nothing else. :) It's as all-in-one solution as TomTom is.

Just an alternative to consider, Im not dissing TomTom in any way. :) To answer the OPs question - with a £500 budget the TTG 910 is a no-brainer imo.

Soldato
How may different voices do TomToms have - I want a smooth and sexy lady for when I'm driving, and a scouser for when my bro lends it so he can understand it. Possible?

Back
Top Bottom