Sennheiser HD515s or HD555s?

Associate
Which ones should I get? Obviously the HD555s will be better, but is it worth the £20 price hike? I am certainly not an audiophile (currently own some 2.1 £30 Altec Lansing speakers, not sure what model), and would certainly like to save the money if there isn't a huge difference. The HD555s look better to me (don't like the 'stripy' look of the HD515s), but then again, looks don't make headphones. Comfortability, sound, and price do.

Are they both ergonomically the same? ie. they will both feel the same around my head?

These will be couple with an Audigy 2 Value soundcard btw, and used for a bit of everything - gaming, music, movies.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
i asked this question a few months ago and everyone seemed to agree that the HD515 are crap

get the HD555s

Associate
OP
Thanks. I now have another question though!

Is it worth it for the HD595s over the HD555s? I can get the 555s for £60 delivered, and the 555s for £60 delivered, or the 595s for £90 delievered. Worth the extra £30?

Sem

Sem

Soldato
hmm

£90 is a good price for 595

but i dont know if they are significantly better than the 555s

you said your not an audiophile so i dont think it will be worth it

Associate
OP
ok thanks. Do you have the HD555s then? Anything good/bad you want to say about them? Anything at all, I want as much info as I can get about them, as 60/90 quid is a lot for lil' old me. Then again, I want these to last a long time (read: forever), so spending the extra 30 would be ok as long as it would give me a decent boost in quality.

Associate
I was also interested in the HD555. I really want em to listen to music or watch movies at night so i don't bother the neighbours! How do u think they shall perform with an M-Audio Revolution 5.1?

Associate
scotty32 said:
So I'll have to swap everytime I wanna use them????
Get a splitter for conveniency.
Those are reasonable cans, and a fair step up over most generics. So you'll probably be happy with them :)

Associate
OP
TooNice said:
Get a splitter for conveniency.
Those are reasonable cans, and a fair step up over most generics. So you'll probably be happy with them :)

Thanks. Well, I discovered my speakers have a headphone jack on the side, so I just plug them into them.

I ended up getting the 595s btw for £90 (not the 555s), they're great :D

Man of Honour
I've got the HD555s and to be honest I am slightly underwhelmed. It's my first pair of Sennheisers and I was expecting to be blown away, but that hasn't happened. Aside from the superior build quality, they aren't much better than my old Panasonic pair from a few years back which I got for £25.

I was kinda hoping for an improvement in sound quality over your £20-£30 highstreet cans but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe Sennheisers are only worth it if you go for the higher end ones (HD595 and above).

Soldato
HD595s are awesome cans very detailed but sadly I sold mine off cos there open design which means anyone in the same room can hear what your hearing....

Proberly doesnt help I like to watch my movies/tv shows and play games @ 3am either, nor the fact im in a wooden house and u can hear every nano bit of detail !

Need to go closed but sadly have yet to see a decent pair of closed cans that really rival the HD595s, was thinking A900s but hear there recessed mids :(

Associate
OP
HighlandeR said:
HD595s are awesome cans very detailed but sadly I sold mine off cos there open design which means anyone in the same room can hear what your hearing....

Proberly doesnt help I like to watch my movies/tv shows and play games @ 3am either, nor the fact im in a wooden house and u can hear every nano bit of detail !

Need to go closed but sadly have yet to see a decent pair of closed cans that really rival the HD595s, was thinking A900s but hear there recessed mids :(

Yeah they are great - I don't really have anything to compare them to though, as they are my first pair of 'proper' headphones. I also can often be found watching TV shows into the early hours, but the noise isn't so bad that it travels all the way through to my parent's bedroom, so I'm ok :D

Soldato
lucky then lol I like a bit of privacy also I dont think my parents would appreciate debbie does dallas at 2am....

I very well still may come back to HD595+ or A900+s, the quest for Audio heaven is always on... guys on head fi forums have spent thousands and own 2-3 cans :eek:

Associate
I do own two very different type of full sized cans (Grado HF-1 and AKG K701). I also have two Koss and a high end Universal Fit IEM (Westone UM2). Along with the headphone amp and Elite Pro sound card, I won't be spending more on audio equipment for a good while.. The next step will probably Electrostatic headphones.. but ya. I shall resist the temptation for now :)

Back
Top Bottom