Possible temporary (~1 day) FAH shutdown

Soldato
Purely due to the heat wave over there at the moment :(
When I read the title I thought they were going all Borkley on us :eek:

taken from the thread here
(note the FCF forums are always very slow - nothing to do with stanford - they will load if you wait a little while :p)

Vijay Pande said:
We're doing everything we can to avoid this, but it's possible that we may need to shutdown FAH for a day or so. Northern California is being hit by a huge heat wave and it's possible that our server room may lose cooling any minute now due to the University's chilled water curtailment. In anticipation of this, we are making preparations to possibly shutdown FAH (as running w/o cooling = fried servers).

This is a last resort (and would only be temporary of course), but we will take action as needed.
sounds like the servers are water cooled rather than an elecrical air-con solution - though I'm expecting they'd be susceptible with either solution right now :o

Vijay Pande said:
UPDATE: it looks like we'll be able to keep the critical servers running, so FAH will stay up, but we're still keeping a close eye on the situation.

Man of Honour
Soldato
rich99million said:
sounds like the servers are water cooled rather than an elecrical air-con solution - though I'm expecting they'd be susceptible with either solution right now :o
More likely it's like the University where I work. The heating plant turns into a cooling plant in the summer. They take water and chill it and then pump it through radiators on campus. The radiators have fans in them and this chills the air in the room.

Soldato
OP
BillytheImpaler said:
More likely it's like the University where I work. The heating plant turns into a cooling plant in the summer. They take water and chill it and then pump it through radiators on campus. The radiators have fans in them and this chills the air in the room.
ahh very nifty - i could do with one of those :p

wonder if the neighbours would mind me building a 30-foot cooling tower in my yard :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rich99million said:

wonder if the neighbours would mind me building a 30-foot cooling tower in my yard :D

Don't bother asking.
If anyone comments, tell them it's in aid of medical research and that you were told to build it by the BMA and all inquiries should be directed towards them :D

Stan :)

Man of Honour
Soldato
rich99million said:

Mine's a bit larger than 30 feet. ;)
sunnysundayinakron0881mp1.jpg

Lining that white cylinder is 7 feet of Styrofoam. Inside this "coffee cup", as they call it, is the chilled water that runs through the system. It's all rather neat.

EDIT: I substituted in a better photograph. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Could have done with that at home. :cool: (literally)

Got back from a week away to find one dead machine (dunno if it'll return, but looks likely so far), smell of overheating electronics and 36C room temps. I remotely shut down DC apps (CPDN and folding) on two other machines to avoid them ending up in the same dead state.

While I can now keep things a little cooler, I'm not going to resume full-on crunching until the heatwave ends.

Back
Top Bottom