50hz tv > 60hz signal ?

Associate
my freind wants to buy a jap neogeo and a jap pc engine, the thing is he only has a 50hz tv. What are his options to get this to work?

Will he be able to run them through a coaxial cable instead of a scart as Ive heard that a coaxial cable only does 50hz?

Soldato
nO}{8 said:
my freind wants to buy a jap neogeo and a jap pc engine, the thing is he only has a 50hz tv. What are his options to get this to work?

Will he be able to run them through a coaxial cable instead of a scart as Ive heard that a coaxial cable only does 50hz?

Who said coax can only carry 50hz?

Coaxial cables can reliably carry a 1Ghz signal over a decent length.

Soldato
Agreed.

I haven't had a TV that couldn't handle 60Hz since the late 1980s - and that one was a few years old.

If he is going to be using a coaxial (RF) connection, then the outputted signal will be NTSC not PAL, and will result in a black and white picture unless the TV supports NTSC. Plenty of modern TVs do, but you can buy a NTSC-PAL colour converter. But, to be honest, if you want the best from these retro consoles, a nice CRT TV and an RGB scart lead is the way to go.

Associate
OP
Bigpops said:
Agreed.

I haven't had a TV that couldn't handle 60Hz since the late 1980s - and that one was a few years old.

hes got a 1980's tv, and it has no scart connection, can a 60hz signal go into his tv through coax?

Soldato
The refresh rate isn't the main problem. It's the NTSC encoding which I imagine his TV will not support.

Just get a cheap TV for playing his stuff.

Back
Top Bottom