BMW 540i V8 motor oil - ???

Associate
Howdy,

I need to get some oil for my 540i v8 - I went out and got some 0w-30 that conforms to the BMW-Longlife 1 spec. Question is do I need 0w-30 on a 180,000 mile engine or should I get something else?

Thanks.

Caporegime
Pinter75 said:
Howdy,

I need to get some oil for my 540i v8 - I went out and got some 0w-30 that conforms to the BMW-Longlife 1 spec. Question is do I need 0w-30 on a 180,000 mile engine or should I get something else?

Thanks.

Whilst 0W 30 is the correct oil for that engine,either "Castrol GTX High Mileage" or, "Mobil Clean High Mileage" would suit it better, imo.

Soldato
sorry to sound dumb but why would a car need different oil after it has passed 80,000 miles.

whats different about the oil, does anyone know?

Associate
Matt82 said:
sorry to sound dumb but why would a car need different oil after it has passed 80,000 miles.

whats different about the oil, does anyone know?

I dont think theres much difference in it to be honest, probably got some extra additives in there thats probably it.

thedazman

OcUK Staff
Pinter75 said:
Howdy,

Thanks.

Ask the people who really know m8:-
www.opieoils.co.uk
email: [email protected]

Those guys really know what oil is best for what engines etc etc.

For example there was a member on some other forums who had a race spec engine RS Cosworth and after 1 race the engine would normally need rebuilding as they were just using an oil like Mobil1 which is one of the best of the shelves oils but there are some much higher quality oils available for similar money. Those guys recommended him an oil and his engine lasted 4-5 races before needing a rebuild, goes to show what putting a decent quality and the correct oil can make for your engine.

Or give them a call and ask for Simon or Guy as both are really helpful guys.

Caporegime
BMW Longlife stuff is now replaced by Castrol Edge.

180k mile engine 'may' be more worn so a thicker oil helps reduce oil consumption. But I would stick with the proper oil unless it has a excessive consumption?

Soldato
ive got a bit of a "high mileage" car. just under 150k miles. normally its meant to have 10-40 semi. would i be better off with 15-40?

OcUK Staff
Matt82 said:
ive got a bit of a "high mileage" car. just under 150k miles. normally its meant to have 10-40 semi. would i be better off with 15-40?

As I quoted above just send an email to the pros, they know their engines and oils better than anybody on here I'd imagine plus they are traders but welcome individual buyers so prices are very good. :)

Caporegime
Gibbo said:
As I quoted above just send an email to the pros, they know their engines and oils better than anybody on here I'd imagine plus they are traders but welcome individual buyers so prices are very good. :)

They are salesmen and all the stuff they post in regurgitated stuff from other sources. Not saying that's a bad thing as they provide a good service.

Use the correct oil for the engine.

Thicker oils for the sake of it are pointless as you are creating more oil drag to go against the engine. Only go to a thicker one if your engine is using more oil than you're happy with. A 15 weight oil will also hinder cold start protection when we get back to normal British weather

Back
Top Bottom