watercooling loop order check plz :)

Soldato
hey guys, ive nearly got my loop sorted, just need to find a cheap cheap 1/2'' t-junction from somewhere to finish it (if anyones got one they dont want, let me know :) lol).

from the stuff ive been readin on the net, this seems to be a good way to set it up:

pump -> rad -> cpu -> gpu -> t-junction (filling/bleeding) -> pump

also one more thing, what would be the best mixture to use in it?? i'm thinking about using distilled water and a little bit of anti-freeze as this should stop any corrosion etc (even though i think all my loop is copper) and give an ever so slightly increased ammount of cooling performance

thoughts anyone??

Associate
Loop order is fine, i use water wetter. Id maybe get some Zerex or stuff like that.

How soon do you need the T junction as i have one spare mate.

Man of Honour
anti freeze will not increase the amount of cooling performance, it will degrade it if anything and should only be used if you are using a mixture of metals in the loop i.e aluminium and copper to prevent corrosion. Pure distilled will be fine IF its an all copper loop (or even copper and brass). A few drops of Iodine should be enough to keep any algae at bay.

The setup you have looks fine although afaik its a common misconception that having the loop in a particular order will help temps, in fact it dosn't really matter. The only thing that does matter is that you should always have the t-line before the pump, as you have already done.

GL with the WC.

Soldato
OP
i read it increases performance cos it contains a bit of alcohol which has better heat transfer than water???

as far as i know its all copper so shouldnt have a problem with mixing metals (maze 4 cpu, mp-1 gpu, black ice extreme II, aquaxtreme 50Z)??

its probs a good thing you dont need it in a certain order (except the t-piece) cos when i layed out my case i didnt really have any particular order in mind, just as long as the cpu was the first thing after the pump or rad.

4Qman, emailed ya about the t-piece

Last edited:
Associate
Looks good dude. rom me you'll get another vote for zerex as a water additive - ive had no problems with it and has kept my water clean for nearly 2 years now.

Only thing ill say is that investing in a res may make life a fair bit easier. Although some may argue it give a drop in performance (if there is any its going to be very little), but the benefits of filling and bleeding (i.e. getting the air out of your loop) outweigh any performance loss.

If you do go for a res, then it'll be just before the pump.

Soldato
OP
a res may be the next thing on my list to do then. for now ill stick with the t-piece but depending on how annoying i find this to be to bleed etc i may invest in a res instead.

its all for an overclockin project im doin, so i can see me draining it and re-filling it quite a lot

quick edit: is there any difference in size of res to go for just out of curiousity???

Last edited:
Wise Guy
Soldato
Go for a res mate, I've always used a res on my loops except this time, and man did i regret it come bleeding time, bleeding is a nightmare without a res.

Man of Honour
a res helps just before the pump to stop the pump being starved of water which can lead to cavitation (pump pushing out more water than is able to get back due to the restriction of blocks and rad) which basically puts the pump under constant stress.

Soldato
OP
but surley whether theres a res or not, the pump wont be starved because what ever it pumps out, it will get exactly the same ammount back??? if your not gettin the same back then id be wondering if theres a leak somewehre in my loop??

and again, size of res, does it matter?

Associate
Dont quote me on this, but i dont think the size matters really. You just need something that'll fit in your case. I think if you got a res with 3 holes it would be cool - have one purely for filling the system via a fillport (if you've got one) and the other 2 are for connecting to your loop.

Soldato
OP
if size doesnt matter then i may be able to squeeze one in. found the swiftech MCRES-micro might do the job, got a fillport so should be easy to fill

either this or any floppy/hdd sized res's should fit (non that are double size or really thick) if anyone knows of any?

Soldato
Res size doesn't matter other than a larger one can make filling by blipping the pump on an off quicker but it depends on how the loop is arranged.

I am currently using a Danger Den double floppy bay res:

Wise Guy
Soldato
DaveMac, is that a 120mm or a 92mm fan hole at the back of your case? been trying to figure out a way to do that on my own (for a 120mm) but the fan itself wont fit in the space, any pointers?

Cheers.

sorry for going OT btw.

Soldato
Bundles said:
DaveMac, is that a 120mm or a 92mm fan hole at the back of your case? been trying to figure out a way to do that on my own (for a 120mm) but the fan itself wont fit in the space, any pointers?

Cheers.

sorry for going OT btw.
120mm fans front and rear.

The rear is extremely tight fitting and sits on top of the internal frame to the I/O shield.

Back
Top Bottom