Acoustic "gig" tonight

Soldato
Maybe "gig" is misleading as I'm playing 4 songs at a birthday doo, but there are 100 people going. no one I know really as the people should be 30+.

I've gigged tons before, but on drums. I used to sing too (backing and a couple of leads) but my old band didn't have a monitor, so I was never put off by the sound of my own voice as the drums are so loud! But now I can hear every word I say and it's a tad off putting.

I've played guitar since around February/March and I'm hoping it all goes well. Here's the "set list" for anyone interested:

1) Time of Your Life (Greenday)
2) Hotel California (The Eagles) (I've been drinking tea all afternoon to try and loosen my vocal chords as the chorus is so high!)
3) Move On (Jet)
4) Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)

Looking forward to it now . . . just off for a shower and last drink of water before I head off. See you all tomorrow! :D

Man of Honour
I used to hate monitors and from 1970 to 1988 I refused to have them. I joined a close harmony act in 88 and they demanded I had one so that I could pitch correctly with the rest of them. Since then I've been spoilt and around 92 I came up with the idea of using headphones for monitoring on stage and I really wished that I had patented it. About four years ago I bought a Trantec Wireless headset and I can hear every word and pitch perfectly and more importantly be able to sing the way I do without hurting my throat - 9 AC/DC songs a night on top of the other material is quite demanding. Along with my wireless mic I can also go wherever I want and sing from the womens toilets.

Good luck.

Soldato
OP
Just got back - all went fine. Messed up the first song as I forgot the first verse lyrics so I looped the main riff around whilst my stepbrother mouthed the opening line :D but all was fine.

First time I've played in front of people for about 4 months now, love the feeling. Hotel California was awesome - thanfully my voice held out to hit the high notes :p

Man of Honour
About 3 weeks ago I was asked to guest with another local Stoke band called Breathe at a private party in a big marquee. I basically turned up on the night and sang about 16 of their 20 songs but audiences are so fickle that they wouldn't know if I had done anything wrong.
The bloke who booked them begged them to play Hotel California but they kept shaking their heads. He got more insistent and after about two minutes they gave in. Rob announced that they didn't know it but they would give it a stab.
To say it was awful is an understatement. If you've seen the You tube videos of the kids playing Smells Like Teen Spirit or The Final Countdown then I'm not kidding that those two were professional compared to this version of Hotel California. They kept stopping, asking each other for chords and notes and then tried to get back into it. When it came to the twin lead solo it they were so far off they were on other continents. Halfway through they shook their heads and finally gave in knowing they should have said 'no'.
On the way out I heard people talking about Hotel California and how brilliant it was :eek:
Theres a story in there somewhere.

(actually Breathe are from Cheadle)

Soldato
OP
Chaaaydal? :D

I played it on acoustic, just doing chords as I'm a guitar noob! I have a backing track without lead guitar and vocals (i.e. bass/drums) that I used, and my stepbrother (professional saxophonist) played the lead guitar parts. Came of very well, people asked me if I knew any more Eagles but sadly I don't!

Soldato
dmpoole said:
Theres a story in there somewhere.

good story too, very helpful as my sister found out

she was covering 4 songs at her bands showcase at the ACM, she got the first and second verse the wrong way round in the first song - slither by velvet revolver; i really love the song but i didnt notice that she got them the wrong way round!

glad it all went well for you, ive only ever played guitar infront of people before, that was at school infront of about 100 people playing some solo gary moore stuff. but once you get into it nerves go and its a great feeling isnt it :D

Back
Top Bottom