Motherboard ram compatability problem

Associate
Having a strange problem with my mobo. Its a Biostar M7NCG 700 (pap (better?) make I know, but I was skint at the time), CPU AMD Sempron 2800+, 512mb DDR PC2700. It seems to have a serious problem regarding RAM, I bought a 1gb PC333 stick of ram the other day to add to the motherboard, when I put it in it shows in the BIOS that it is a 2gb and puts it up to PC400 and reboots the second windows begins to load. I've tried other RAM in my system along with the 512mb I currently have, but it blue screens as soon as windows starts.

The system works perfectly with only 1 stick of ram in, apart from the 1gb I bought the other day. All the ram i've tried that didn't work with this motherboard works perfectly on another computer I have, so it isn't a memory problem. Also the other computer sees the 1gb as actually a 1gb with the correct ram timings and works fine.

I'm no wizz in BIOS settings so maybe i've missed something? The ram timings seem fine to me. The mobo I have has a known problem with recognizing some RAM, but i've downloaded the BIOS flash updates that (supposably) fixes this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
pict0248pc9.jpg

RAM settings for the 1gb that refuses to work.

Associate
Ram compatibility.

I'm no expert on these things and know nothing about your board. However it is possible that your new memory is high density and your old low. Some boards will not run high density DIMMs.

Associate
OP
Leporello said:
I'm no expert on these things and know nothing about your board. However it is possible that your new memory is high density and your old low. Some boards will not run high density DIMMs.

Thanks for the reply. Had a bit more time to test it out. Tried it on another computer (new 64 bit athlon) and it just posted at me, 1 spaced out beep. As the computer works perfectly without that RAM I assume its a faulty stick.

I did memtest on the computer that it works on and it finds around 20-30 errors per test and after extended use Windows blue screens.

Taking it back tomorrow and getting it replaced. Hopefully I wont get a faulty one in return this time. Happened before :(.

Back
Top Bottom