• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unclocking anyone??

Soldato
alright fellas, im jus wondering is anyone having to unclock their cards in this heat at the mo?? ive got a x800 gto with a stock cooler and im having to underclock it to about 300mhz on both memory and core

Soldato
If it is due to heat tere are a number of things you need to consider. What is the cooling like in your case & what is the temp in your room? Where is the pc (next to a window where the sun shines directly onto it)?

Adjusting these may help.

Soldato
300mhz down on the core? I am suprised it runs at all at such a low frequency (the cores were not designed to). Get some better cooling, remount the current heatsink with AS5, improve case cooling. Do something though :eek:

My x800gto is running overclocked with a vf700 alcu @ 5v fan speed

Man of Honour
I have reduced my cooling recently, to reduce noise. I'm down to just one case fan (front intake), with a fan on the CPU cooler doubling as case extract, one on the graphics card and two in the PSU. That's in a hot room (upper floor, insulated loft, you know what the weather's like). Everything's running at the usual overclock. Admittedly, temps are up about 10C on normal, due to the weather, but normal is very low.

Soldato
Raikiri said:
300mhz down on the core? I am suprised it runs at all at such a low frequency (the cores were not designed to).

That makes no sense, the clock is just how fast everything is 'updated'.
Also, when the cores are first tested using a device that 'emulates' hardware, the GPU will be lucky to run at 1mhz.

Associate
david.n.c said:
alright fellas, im jus wondering is anyone having to unclock their cards in this heat at the mo?? ive got a x800 gto with a stock cooler and im having to underclock it to about 300mhz on both memory and core

Out of interest what temps are you getting at stock? Mine runs at about 55c idle in this heat and 78c load, stock cooler.

Soldato
Boogle said:
That makes no sense, the clock is just how fast everything is 'updated'.
Also, when the cores are first tested using a device that 'emulates' hardware, the GPU will be lucky to run at 1mhz.

Start underclocking your CPU, it will come to a point where it is unstable. I assumed this would apply to all equipment running a frequency they were not not designed to, same as overclocking too far causes problems :)

david.n.c said:
i will get a new cooler its gona b the artic or the zalman...which do u recommend guys

The zalman IMO, the arctic acceleros are good but do not fit x800 cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
im usin an arctic cooler on my x800pro, though not the same card, very similar. i get idle temps of around 38 - 42 in this heat. usually around 35 when the weathers a bit cooler

Soldato
Raikiri said:
Start underclocking your CPU, it will come to a point where it is unstable. I assumed this would apply to all equipment running a frequency they were not not designed to, same as overclocking too far causes problems :)

Thats most likely the motherboard itself causing the instability, not the CPU. Multiple clocks on the motherboard, FSB, Memory, PCI, AGP/PCI-E. If they're not in sync, then you get instability :) Tis why some motherboards are better at overclocking than others.

Back
Top Bottom