Secure Sata cables for Asrock Dual 939

Soldato
Hi all,

Will my board power the 2 sata drives I have via the motherbaord if I use the above cables?

Just means less mess in my case plus the sata data cables are naff!!

Any one confirm please? :D

Soldato
If you mean what i think you mean, the answer is no.

You cannot power a harddisk from a motherboard.

Have you got a link to those cables...?

Soldato
OP
utherpendragon said:
Think he means these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/SATA_Cables.html

They won't power the drive, they just make the connection more secure.

Thats them? Im confused now, the plug at the end covers the power and data? So how do I get power to the drives if I use one then?

Sorry I may be a bit thick on this, on be missing something :( can't see it in my head

Associate
You have to use the molex power connectors on the drive instead. The secure cables prevent the use of SATA power connectors.

Soldato
OP
hohum said:
You have to use the molex power connectors on the drive instead. The secure cables prevent the use of SATA power connectors.

Ok I get it, purely to make a secure connection!!

I have to admit the standard sata data cables are cr*p so I
may buy 2 of these anyways!

Thanks for clearing my muddled head gents ;)

Soldato
OP
Joe42 said:
I thought they plug into both the power and data connectors and have a plug for the sata power connector and a wire for the data.

They do, but he's talking about the power connectors that are the same type as CD and DVD and graphics card power!!

Well I hope he is :D

Associate
Yes, the secure cable connects to both the SATA power connector and the data connector. This is only to strengthen the connection to the drive though, hence there are no wires to the SATA power connector.

And yes, molex is the standard used by CD-ROM drives and whatnot.

Soldato
OP
hohum said:
Yes, the secure cable connects to both the SATA power connector and the data connector. This is only to strengthen the connection to the drive though, hence there are no wires to the SATA power connector.

I understood ya ;)

Soldato
hohum said:

So it covers the sata power connector and that cannot be used, a molex has to be used instead?
And it is therefore incompatable with sata drives without a molex connector?

Associate
Yes, you have to use molex. Regarding drives without a molex connector: the cable is only for Western Digital drives, which all have a molex connector.

Soldato
Thanks for clearing that up. I think it exists as a temporary measure as the sata connectors on drives get better. The connectors on motherboards have been improved a lot over time. Never had any problems with the connectors coming out myself.
The Sata power connector has a 3.3v line which molex doesn't have and presumably all sata drives will eventually only have sata power connectors so they can make use of this.

Back
Top Bottom