Nearly blew myself up

Soldato
Went to have a shower this morning and there was no hot water despite the me turning on the hot water and central heating this morning. My sister suggested that perhaps the pilot light in the boiler thingy had gone out so I went and checked, it was out. Turned it all off and washed my front windscreen to pass the time and went to turn it back on, flicked the switch, turned the gas to pilot and pushed the button to ignite it. Ignite it I did, there was a loud bang and the front of the boiler flew off :eek: I'm now read me myself and don't dare try to do it again :( Cold shower's this morning then :(

Soldato
OP
Thankfully only the front of the boiler housing thingy blew off

Oh and sorry dons, didn't realise what I was typing as I was still shaking slightly :o

Associate
R B CUSTOMS said:
i didnt htink those flames ever went out ?

Ours went out on Saturday morning.
Landlord's plumber came out and sorted it.....but it packed up again about half an hour after he left. We're waiting to see when someone can come out and fix the system properly now.

Luckily, the hot weather means that cold showers are pretty nice. :D

Soldato
OP
messiah khan said:
Call a gas man ASAP. You don't want gas to be filling youir house now, or there might be an even bigger bang.

Just spoken to my dad (he's on holiday) and it turns out I've been a numpty. Once the pilot is on and you have turned the dial to on you are supposed to flick a switch to turn the rest of the gas on. Guess what I turned on first :rolleyes:

There is no gas left as the whole thing is turned off.

Soldato
Obviously ht e best thing you can do now is to have a good long smoke as you contemplate as to wether or not there is any gas left in the room.

smokingjacketfn3.jpg

Like this man. He knows the score. :p

Btw...if a large explosion occurs, then there is gas present. However it would have got consumed in the explosion, so you can conclude that the room is now safe.

Warning: The above method may result in loss of roof, walls and possessions within your house, and possibly personal injury. You have been warned.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
^^ the first time I tried to light it I was smoking. I then realised that perhaps it was not the wisest thing to do :D although I could have got myself a darwin award.

@ Efour2: I can normally light it fine but I was still half asleep this morning and it wasn't until I was in work that I realised I was being stupid.

Back
Top Bottom