Problems connecting to a friend's CS:S server

Soldato
Last night I'd planned to join 3 friends in an evening session of CS:S. However, we had some problems...

First, some background. My 3 friends live together in the other side of town and share an internet connection via a wireless router. I've also got a wireless router as my PC and cable link are at opposite ends of the house.

To the problem; my mate Chris sets up a game and gives us the ip 192.168.1.2:xxxxx via msn. I plug that ip into the Servers option of steam and it fails to get a response. I notice that the ip begins 192.168... and guess that that's a 'local' ip issued by his router, my ip is also showing 192.168... so I imagine that this isn't going to work this way round. I fire up Xfire and I can see all three of them happily gaming away but there's no server information and I'm unable to use the Join Game option.

Cue a lot of faffing about, fiddling with firewalls and many failed attempts. By now it's midnight and too late to start a game on a public server, I've just got a new rig and GFX card and am desperate for some online friend-fragging!Result is no game and a grumpy Nelson!

I understand that the ip problem is something to do with Network Address Translation but have no clue how we can go about solving the problem. Anyone offer some help?

(If this is the wrong forum could a passing Mod please move, thanks)

Back
Top Bottom