I want a camera

Soldato
Thinking of getting a new camera as mine is total crap. Been thinking about getting the FZ7. Have thought about the D50 but the whole lense changing thing just aint for me yet really.

What other cams should I be looking at, am keeping an open mind on it.

Soldato
bought a FZ7 over the weekend, managed to get it for £199 including a proper carry case, 512mb card and all the normal stuff.

Bought it on the strength of the reviews. took it out over the weekend and so far im quite impressed but im still managing to take quite a few duff shots ( badly focused etc ) which I thought I would avoid with a half decent camera, I know it aint a D50 etc.

When it does take a good pic the results are very good, which does give me confidance in the camera, plus the fact I havent even touched the settings yet. the manual is quite a hefty read.

the main problem I am having with it is focusing on close objects, was playing in the garden trying to capture some really close up macro shots on flowers, and I just cant get the bit im trying to zoom in on, in focus. just not getting the results I was hoping for.

Sure they will come after playing with the camera and various settings though.

as for other models to look at, i was torn between the FZ7 and the sony H2, I really wanted a D50 but I just couldnt afford it :(

Associate
L0rdMike said:
Have thought about the D50 but the whole lense changing thing just aint for me yet really.
Just to argue the case for the D50 - you don't necessarily have to change lenses all the time. I've had my D50 since Christmas and have been quite happily using the 18-50mm Sigma that came with it until very recently. I can assure you that having a camera which takes interchangeable lenses isn't a burden causing you to need to switch all the time, if you have a sharp lens with a fairly wide maximum aperture then you'll be set for quite a long time. The only downside to this is that, of course, you're quite susceptible to catching the photography bug and your bank account suffering quite considerably. :)

In any case, while the differences between a high-end compact such as the FZ7 and a fairly low-specification dSLR such as the D50 can seem fairly small and often it may seem as though the compact has more going for it (most commonly the huge zoom), I think you would definitely see the D50 as a better investment if you end up wanting a wider angle lens for example.

Nath

Soldato
You decide on anything yet, like I said , if you can afford it go for the D50 or alike. I wish I could have, but I know it would have led to yet another expensive hobby which I cant afford.

Motorbikes, Hi-Fi's, PC's, & the missus, something would have to give, not really fair to kick the missus out after only 6 months :p

I am slowly getting the hang of the FZ7, bear in mind Im a total noob photography wise, i quite like this little pic I took last night

bee-small.jpg

Associate
I bought an FZ7 a few weeks back and am well chuffed with it. HUGE step up from a Coolpix 3200!

Mostly I got it for the awesome 432mm zoom and the IS which works a treat. Controls/menus are a piece of *** even for a muppet like me, auto modes produce great results and you've got full manual too if you want. 5/5 for the money.

I was also thinking of a D50, but a D50 and equivalent zoom lens would have cost me several times as much, and wouldn't have made me any better a photographer, so I'll move up to a 'proper' dSLR when I'm ready. Plenty still left to learn with the Panny...

Back
Top Bottom