Dehumidifier

Permabanned
In the winter months cardboard seems to absorb water in my room, Will a Dehumidifier fix this?

Is there anything wrong with the cheap ones on ebay?

Is this an all year round appliance or a winter months only one?

Associate
I had a similar problem in my bedroom and whereas a dehumidifer did fix the problem, it's a temporary fix.
I found the problem was condensation from the bathroom/kitchen that would go into my room and have no where to go, so in the end I got a builder to install an extraction fan in the bathroom and an air-brick in the bedroom which has cured the problem.

I wouldn't go with a temporary fix on this as it's just going to cause problems in the long term.

Soldato
robbiemc said:
I had a similar problem in my bedroom and whereas a dehumidifer did fix the problem, it's a temporary fix.
I found the problem was condensation from the bathroom/kitchen that would go into my room and have no where to go, so in the end I got a builder to install an extraction fan in the bathroom and an air-brick in the bedroom which has cured the problem.

I wouldn't go with a temporary fix on this as it's just going to cause problems in the long term.

Aren't extraction fans in bathrooms compulsory these days?

Dehumidifier's aren't terribly expensive nor high-tech so a cheapo one on ebay will probably be fine. Before we built our new kitchen the old dining room used to get a lot of condensation due to the dryer and the cookers.

Wasnt a big problem but we noticed the wallpaper go a bit funny so we got a dehumidifier and it did the trick.

SiriusB

Associate
iBot said:
my room is right near my bathroom

whats an air brick this?

http://www.limestonefires.com/images/ventilation/blkhole2.jpg

I think we have one of those... should i get an extractor fan for it?
Yeah thats right..I had a damp expert come in to identify the problem, and this was his solution.

If the air-brick is in the bedroom them a fan for it wouldn't be terribly practical..it'll be devilishly noisy for a start which means you're unlikely to use it enough to make a difference.

In my case I had two installed at the top of the exterior walls, but of course your situation may be different.

Although a dehumdifier will do the trick (it worked for me), it simply doesn't cure the problem, and having a noisy big box that sucks electricity is a poor temporary fix.

It won't cost anything for an expert to give a quote (get a couple of them to be sure) and at least you'll know what the problem is.

Associate
iBot said:
i have one of those airbrick things in my room and the bathroom, no fans though
A fan in the bathroom is a very good idea. Mine is set to come on when the light is turned on, and stays on for five mins afterwards to help with the vapour. I would say this would be a good place to start, but of course you'll need an electrician/builder to safely integrate it in this manner.

Call up a couple of places tomorrow and take their advice, after all we're just anonymous internet users here ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom