Strange Stops

Associate
Hi everyone.

My problem is strange. I bought computer as whole around three months ago. The specs were:

Pentium 4 630 3.0 GHz
1GB of DDR2 at 400MHz
ATI X550 256MB
ECS SiS-649 M7 micro ATX motherboard
300W power supply
Philips DVD-RW
Maxtor 200 GB IDE HDD
Windows Media Center Edition 2005

The system was quite stable and performing nice also (3DMark03 score - 2300).

Then I upgraded a graphics card to ATI X800GT 256MB. System was running ok until I didn't turn on something demanding like 3DMark or any game. System was just crushing. What I could see was that at some point (2-3 minutes) the screen was turning itself off (same way as when you shut down the pc). I exchanged the card but with no results. I upgraded PSU to the 500W dual rail model. Still nothing. In act of desperation I changed the motherboard into ASUS P5LD2-SE. I downloaded latest official drivers.
Performance boost is enormous (3DMark03 score - 7890), but computer keeps crushing the same way as before. It just takes much longer to come to this point. But eventually it crashes.
It produces either recovery message from ATI that driver crashed without restarting or it restarts and windows error message appears saying:

Error signature

BCCode : 5 BCP1 : 863A1410 BCP2 : 865AB2F0 BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

Is there any outcome from this? I would like to finally use my pc to something more serious than office and internet (talking about gaming of course).

Thanx for replys.

Associate
does the system restart or turn off afterwards? right clcik and go to properties on my computer then advanced tab then startup and recovery settings, remove the automatic restart switch. see if you get a more specific error message with a BSOD, sounds like a memory allocation fault to me!

Associate
OP
I forgot to mention: I upgraded PSU into nice 500W model but problem keeps occuring.

There are three things that happen:

1. Monitor turns itself off, then on with ATI recovery message of driver failure.
2. Monitor turns itself off, pc restarts automatically and I get windows error report.
3. Monitor turns itself off and stays it that way, pc is working, but to use it I have to restart it manually.

I tested today my ram with memtest, but it turned out no errors.

Do you have anyy suggestions?

Associate
OP
I've done that on right after I changed the motherboard. I installed windows after full formating of my hard drive and I'm also running on latest 6.6 catalyst drivers.

Soldato
did this happen with your previous gpu?

altho u have installed the latest drivers have you tried using a driver version previous to the latest drivers to see if the problem exists?

Soldato
Turn off VPU recovery in the ATI catalyst control panel. I've got 2 machines with ATI graphics cards, (9800Pro, and X800), and both trigger my machine to crash, and reboot at random intervals. But I read somewhere that turning off VPU recovery could help, and sure enough, both setups are a lot more stable with vpu recovery off.

Associate
OP
I'll turn it off and see what will happen. I just kept VPU recovery to send errors to ATI. I don't know if they really analize those crash logs and will make an update or it's just me hoping they will... :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
So I turned off VPU recovery and turned on my favourite Crashday. Yes - it was stable, but eventually it only took longer for pc to crush. Just that I had to restart manually.

I'm starting to be really desperate - what can it be?

Meantime I turn on VPU again in hope that ATI will hear me and do something with the driver :)

Just the thought: how to check if gpu is overheating? I tried Atitool but turns no results. There is a connector on gpu for a fan controll but have no clue till what can I connect it to on motherboard and what kind of cable use for this.

Soldato
Only thing I can think of is to try the card in another computer (any friends you can volunteer?) to try and rule out the possiblilty that the graphics card is simply faulty.

You may want to use Asus Probe, or MBM5, or some other monitor program to just verify that the CPU and System temperatures arnt too high. I dont know what software you can use to check the ATI's temperatures though.

Associate
Crescent said:
So I turned off VPU recovery and turned on my favourite Crashday. Yes - it was stable, but eventually it only took longer for pc to crush. Just that I had to restart manually.

I'm starting to be really desperate - what can it be?

Meantime I turn on VPU again in hope that ATI will hear me and do something with the driver :)

Just the thought: how to check if gpu is overheating? I tried Atitool but turns no results. There is a connector on gpu for a fan controll but have no clue till what can I connect it to on motherboard and what kind of cable use for this.

unfortunatly a lot of cards from ATI, especially the last series do not have temp sensors, if you havnt messed with the fan sink on the card then i doubt it will be overheating, although to check, make sure that after running the GPU fansink is warm to the touch to ensure heat is being transfered

Soldato
stupid question but are u sure u connected the molex to the card etc. and that the molex cable is only powering the card. otherwise run ati tool check for atifacts and if u getting them then send it back.

Associate
OP
I didn't connect any molex to the graphics card. I doesn't need any external power supply connector.

Here is link to my PSU

I'll run Atitoll now to see if I get any arifacts.

Associate
OP
Strange. When I run scan for artifacts in atitool after 7.5 sec pc restarted the way it usualy does after few minutes of playng game or running 3DMark...

This time windows produced this error:

BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 85DB6DA8 BCP2 : 863FE370 BCP3 : F7C5ECBC
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

I'll try again now and see if it happens again.

Associate
OP
So I run it again. This time pc didn't restart but after 30 seconds I started to see lot of strange yellow horizontal lines. After 1min 30sec I couldn't see almost anything because almost everything was covered in both horizontal and vertical, thick and thin lines.

What does it mean?

Associate
OP
So to update:

Here is what log files from atitool says:

1'st time
2006-07-24 16:16:44 Scan for Artifacts started... Core: 472.50 MHz Memory: 492.75 MHz
2006-07-24 16:16:44 Scan for Artifacts running for: 0:00:00
2006-07-24 16:16:51 Artifacts detected after 00:06.17. 2 pixels don't match.

2'nd time
2006-07-24 16:23:50 Scan for Artifacts started... Core: 472.50 MHz Memory: 492.75 MHz
2006-07-24 16:23:50 Scan for Artifacts running for: 0:00:00
2006-07-24 16:24:07 Artifacts detected after 00:16.34. 57060 pixels don't match.

Associate
OP
Then I have very bad luck, because before that I bought GeForce 6600 GT 256MB and it was even worster with restartings. I even couldn't reinstall windows because it was hanging the installation. Sure I bought both cards as second hand in the computer eschange - and maybe that's my mistake then...

Back
Top Bottom