Annoying Logon Logoff Loop (I don't think it's BlazeFind)

Soldato
In the process of cleaning up a customers laptop.

I decided to not do a clean install, the reason it was running so slow was that the HDD was set to PIO mode.

Anyway, I did an Adaware, Spybot and CCLeaner scan out of courtesy and also installed Norton on their request.

I am now unable to logon to the laptop.

As soon as I attempt a logon the laptop logs off reverting to the logon screen.

This sounds exactly the same as the BlazeFind virus/adware but I do not think it is. I have followed the steps to remove BlazeFind by reinstalling the userinit.exe file via recovery console.

I believe the problem lies within the Registry, the entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Name: Userinit".

However, as I am unable to logon it makes Registry editing rather akward.

Any ideas or tips much appreciated,

Chris

Man of Honour
You won't be able to do a repair if the laptop was loaded from a ghost image or similar, even if there is a sticker saying OEM etc it won't always recognise it being the same Windows version as a normal CD.

Have you tried running a scan with a decent AV package like NOD32? Although you'd need to slave the HD into a desktop system.

Soldato
OP
I used a BartPE disc to fix the registry problem.

However, the Virus has left other annoying quirks such as dodgy icons and system items with no names.

Before doing a clean install (the user has loads of files all over the HDD so it would be a pain!) I would like to attempt a system restore. However, I am unable to start System Restore.

Any ideas on this one please?

Back
Top Bottom