Designing for pre-ie6 - can you download ie4 / ie5?

Associate
I'm currently building a site for a group of old(ish) people, and my main concern is their PCs might be slightly old, and may still be running win98 with ie4 or 5.

I've tried googling, but nothing seems to come back, but what I'm looking for is to install previous (older) version of internet explorer. I've tried ie5-5.5 and they always say 'newer version installed' when i attempt to run the setup, even though I have a feeling it should be possible as I already have ie6 and ie7.

Does anyone know where to get standalone versions from?

Associate
I don't think you can have a standalone version of internet explorer, nor can you install multiple versions, and you cannot remove IE6 from windows xp.

So if you are using windows xp you can't without dual booting windows 98 or using something like vmware and emulating windows 98 within windows xp.

Best solution, see below :)

Last edited:
Associate
Well I stand corrected, I have no idea how that is possible because surely loads of IE files are hidden all over the OS?

IE3 is like going back to the dark ages :)

Associate
OP
z3b3dy said:
If you are running IE 6.0 or greater on your PC you can run standalone versions of IE 4.0, IE 5.01 and IE 5.5. Just download them from here: http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone

It as simple as un-zipping the files and double-clicking on the Internet Explorer in each directory, you can run them all at the same time.

Those are the puppies! I knew they were around somewhere...

Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom