Noisy Neighbours !!

Soldato
Hello !!

Does anyone here happen to know the earliest and latest times its legal to make "loud" noise ?

With living in a block of flats, I kind of expect to be able to hear TVs and music in reasonable hours ie.. not after 10:30 or something.
But when trying to get to sleep last night I could hear a TV that was at least 2 walls and a room away at midnight.
That strikes me as excessive.

I'm not about go go round and blow my top at them.
I'm willing to give it a couple more nights to see if it continues before I have a friendly word, but I'd quite like to be armed with some facts first :)

Associate
There isn't really a definition of when, but I personally like the car horn analogy. You can't use the horn on your car between 11pm and 7am (i think, might be 6). If you are getting excessive noise then the very best thing you can do it write down exactly what you hear (try to find the program if its a tv maybe) and more importantly WHEN you hear it.
If this seems to happen regularly then I suggest going round to your neighbours and having a chat.
If that doesn't work or if they are non-responsive, then give the police a call and present them with the evidence you've collected.

The evidence is the most important thing, without it the police simply won't do anything.

Best thing really is to try to sort it out between yourselves, makes for more amicable living :)

Soldato
If it continues to happen then evidence is the most important thing, its basically between 11pm and 7am when no excessive noise is allowed.

Have a look at your local councils website under enviromental health. The coucil will have a department to deal with noise, dogs, neighbours etc etc.
If you contact the Police they will come out on the night in question and ask the neighbour to turn down the tv/music but they will then put you in contact with the local council.

Associate
There's an advert going round on the radio at the moment about noisy neighbours and it suggests the best course of action is just to speak to them about it.

Some neighbours don't realise how noisy they are being.

I lived in a semi for 12 months and never heard a peep from the next door neighbours for over 11 months. I guessed that the walls must be really thick and that they couldn't hear us. Then one day I heard them close a kitchen cupboard door and it sounded as if it was being closed in our kitchen and realised that they were just extremely quiet people. Felt a bit embarrassed about it because a lot of the time we were very noisy really and I guess they didn't want to start a situation about it even though we used to regularly chat over the garden fence.

Soldato
Usel said:
Then one day I heard them close a kitchen cupboard door and it sounded as if it was being closed in our kitchen and realised that they were just extremely quiet people. Felt a bit embarrassed about it because a lot of the time we were very noisy really and I guess they didn't want to start a situation about it even though we used to regularly chat over the garden fence.

I know exactly what you mean. I can hear my neighbours getting into bed (they have it up against the same wall I have my desk against) because we share that wall. It sounds like I'm getting into bed. :o

Sometimes I swear they're just dragging things against their wall as well... It doesn't bother me, it's only for a few seconds every now and then. There was a time when they first moved in and they did pretty much constant building works - hammering, drilling - which ****** me off because it was always when I was watching TV. :p

Suspended
I never here a peep from the 4 girls who are in the other half of the semi me and myu friends live in, however we can here every lightswitch and plug socket with perfect clarity - its really wierd!

Permabanned
Last summer when the family was away I had a bunch of people over to watch some films, have some brewskis etc.. We had the film on pretty loud and got a knock at the door. I thought.. Oh dear noise complaint.
Answered the door and it was my next door neighbour, I said "im sorry about the noise I'll turn it down"
He said: I was just coming round to warn you that we might be creating some noise, My dad just died and people will be coming in and out to prey and pay their respects.
I said: Oh im sorry to hear that, Don't worry, we can't hear anything
He said: we cant hear anything either, :D

He was a really nice guy and was really considerate even though his dad had just died.

Back
Top Bottom