• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6600GT burnt out

Associate
I made a thread the other day called 'Computer Smoking' and today I found out my PSU and graphics card had died. The repair man replaced the PSU but couldn't replace the 6600GT because it was not part of the original computer. (he came as part of the insurance).

The graphics card has been burnt out:
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

I need to cut my nails :p

Anyway, does anybody know what could have caused this and how to avoid it in the future?

I bought it from OCuk so I hope they can replace it, but I can't find my receipt :(

Soldato
Sweet jesus :eek:

Well, does that card take extra power? (I can't see as you damn fingernail is in the way on each photo :p ) The PSU could well have taken the card out when it died.

Associate
OP
killer_uk said:
Sweet jesus :eek:

Well, does that card take extra power? (I can't see as you damn fingernail is in the way on each photo :p ) The PSU could well have taken the card out when it died.

I want to cry :(

Well, not so much as cry as kick something but anyway. I've had that card for quite a while and it's never caused any problem with the PSU.

Soldato
Because to me it looks like either that damage was caused by the PSU or by severe overclocking, rather than a defective card. Its the only time i see cards ending up like that.

Associate
OP
ACESHIGH said:
Because to me it looks like either that damage was caused by the PSU or by severe overclocking, rather than a defective card. Its the only time i see cards ending up like that.

ah well, I've never overclocked. So my PSU seemingly destroying my graphics card doesn't warrantee a replacement? It's not even certain that it was the PSU anyway, the repairman just replaced the PSU because I basically asked him to and he agreed my computer not working was probably due to a broken PSU.

Anyway, suppose I can only wait for my conroe :(

Associate
OP
james.miller said:
why would it be the psu and not the other way round? i had a 9500np blow up on me the first time i switched it on. a part caught fire a literally blew a hole in board. It does happen:)

exactly, if anything I think it was that way round because before the computer shut down the graphics went twitchy and the monitor flickered, then the monitor died quickly followed by the whole computer.

Soldato
ACESHIGH said:

I had an old Radeon 7500.

It was in my computer for 6 hours, and while playing HL:BS, blew a resistor or something.

I took the card back for a different reason and that's when the guy pointed out the burn marks.

With a big of arguing, they exchanged the card.

Soldato
very odd. but if a psu blows it can take out anything attached to it really. thats why its best to always have a decent quality psu. however im shocked that the boad did not get broken. if that was an agp card it would make sense since they have a direct molex power feed and that would give it reason to blow. :confused:

Soldato
I had a 'stock' speed Geforce 5700 blow its cooler clean off, was a very loud bang. Had no problem with RMA.

Burn marks are not a 'surefire' indication of overclocking.

For all we know the componant on your card may have shorted out internally, and overloaded, and blew the PSU. To be honest I doubt that damage was caused by a power surge from the PSU. PSU surges typically cause damage deep within microchips, not visible from the outside.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Corasik said:
I had a 'stock' speed Geforce 5700 blow its cooler clean off, was a very loud bang. Had no problem with RMA.

Burn marks are not a 'surefire' indication of overclocking.

For all we know the componant on your card may have shorted out internally, and overloaded, and blew the PSU. To be honest I doubt that damage was caused by a power surge from the PSU. PSU surges typically cause damage deep within microchips, not visible from the outside.

That's what I thought, if the PSU caused it then surely the HDD, the mobo, the CD drive, not just the GFx card would have been taken down with it.

I can't find my receipt anyway, I don't suppose there's another way? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom