Port Forwarding & Belkin modem Router..

Associate
Hi, just got myself a high speed Belkin wireless modem/router. Model F5D 7633-4. On Tiscali 2MB service and use net mostly for online games such as BF2. So far all seems well on that front but when I went to configure bittorrent (Azureus) it all went way over my head!! There is a great straightforward guide to portforwarding for this http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7633-4/Azureus.htm
but I`m worried about the side effects of changing my settings so drastically and would like to hear from a few people who have already done this. Know that IP address will change everytime log in so how does it all work?

Associate
its not really a drastic change its just telling the router to let traffic through on a certain port (it will block any other inbound connections on ports that have not been forwarded, ie you shall remain resonably safe from unauthorised access)

if youve got the routers DHCP lease time to "FOREVER" then the router will try and give your machine the same IP everytime. this saves you having to keep changing the target ip for the forwarded port for bit torrent.

Back
Top Bottom