Song & Album of the year so far

Soldato
Just wondering what good new music people have been listening to, looking to expand my purchases of new music a bit.

Personally I have been loving

(albums)
Tunng - Comments of the Inner Chorus [especially Jenny Again]
Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope [thanks to Doohickey :D ]
Guster - Ganging Up On The Sun
Danielson - Ships

(songs)
Zutons - Valerie
Cat Power - Lived In Bars

I was also surprised that Muse's new album was better than I expected, and the Raconteurs almost lived up to expectation.

So what are everyone else's choice picks from 2006?

Associate
sneakyd said:
Snow Patrol - Eyes Open

Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars

:o :o

Surely you're joking? They're music sounds pretty derivative to me, not outstanding by any stretch of the imagination.

I can't think of an album that has really stood out from the rest so far this year. Plenty to come though so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

[Edit: keep forgetting to look for the new cursive album, thanks for reminding me]

Soldato
Woody__ said:
Albums:
Cursive - Happy Hollow
Set Your Goals - Mutiny!
Rise Against - The Sufferer & the Witness,
AFI - Decemberunderground...

Song: Cursive - Bad Science.

Happy Hollow took me a few listens to get into, but I absolutely love it now. Definitely one of my favourites so far this year.

A Lily - Wake:Sleep is a fantastic minimal chilled electronica album released this year.

Amusement Parks on Fire - Out Of The Angeles - brilliant album, post-rock-esque with a larger indie feel to it than a standard post-rock album.

Khoma - The Second Wave - great heavy rock/metal album.

Matchbook Romance - Voices - "emo" goodness

Russian Circles - Enter - mindblowingly impressive debut of this post-metal/rock band. Awesome drumming.

Mono - You Are There - it's Mono, need I say more? Post-rock done by one of the masters of the genre.

Wolfmother - Wolfmother - damn good all-out rock affair.

Venetian Snares - Cavalcade of Glee and Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms - not on the same level as something like Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett but still an enjoyable breaks/hardcore/dnb/electronica album.

The Timeout Drawer - Alone EP - sadly, a very short record (20-25 minutes), but shows a lot of potential for the LP. Well constructed post-rock.

Alexisonfire - Crisis - wicked follow up to Watch Out! (and sticks much more closely to Watch Out! than the self-titled rubbish album)

And the new The Mars Volta just happens to be amazing ;)

Song wise?

Cursive - Bad Sects
Amusement Parks On Fire - A Star Is Born
Russian Circles - Carpe

Soldato
Carzy said:
Happy Hollow took me a few listens to get into, but I absolutely love it now. Definitely one of my favourites so far this year.
I fell in love with it instantly. Tims voice is fantastic on it and it's nice to hear Teds voice more. I honestly don't thint that there is a bad song on that album. The horns work well and all the lyrics and subject material is fantastic. Actually my favourite Cursive album. I prefer it over The Ugly Organ.

Soldato
OP
Wolfmother's album is a good call, not complicated or particularly clever, just unadulterated brilliant rock

ballistic said:
Chico-Its Chico Time

Really all the released songs this year have been trully awful.
Doesn't have to be a big single, or even a released single - are you saying you don't think there is a single decent song released this year!?

Permabanned
j00ni said:
Wolfmother's album is a good call, not complicated or particularly clever, just unadulterated brilliant rock

are you saying you don't think there is a single decent song released this year!?

some decent stuffm but nothing that stands out for me so far

Soldato
Here are a few of my favourite songs so far.

Muse - Knights Of Cydonia

Feeder - Lost And Found

Keane - Is It Any Wonder

My favourite Album: Muse - Black Holes & Revelations

Last edited:
Soldato
love the wolfmother album but tbh i havent listened to that many new albums this year :(

been some very good greatest hits albums but i dont think they count

A5H

A5H

Permabanned
Lamb of god - Redneck
Slayer - Cult
KSE - This fire burns

I can't even think of any recent albums of enjoyed :/

Oh well. Christ illusion will be good. Due 8th august.

Soldato
j00ni said:
Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope [thanks to Doohickey :D ]
Good man! I saw her live in Leeds on friday night, her voice is just as strong and amazing in person. :)

Definitely a quality album too. Slightly prefer the last one though, mainly because Us is my favourite song of hers.

Soldato
Much as it pains me because there are some very mediocre tracks on it the album i've played most is Inside In / Inside Out by the Kooks.

Doesn't really say much for this year though does it?

Soldato
OP
The Edge said:
Doesn't really say much for this year though does it?
It says nothing about this years music. All it says is that you have been listening to pap :p

edit: or have rubbish taste, but I'll assume the former unless proven otherwise ;)

Back
Top Bottom