Transferring a LARGE file over the net

Soldato
Hi guys

I've got a 250Mb file to transfer to someone over the net.

I have compressed it with Winrar to 214Mb which is still huge...what would be the best way of sending it to them?

Is there any free places that I could upload it to for a short while (a week or so)?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome!

Soldato
Split it in to smaller archives using WinRAR and send over MSN or setup an FTP server on one of the PCs (e.g. Filezilla server) and transfer it in one go. If you lose the connection you can just reconnect and resume the transfer.

Don
7zip.org

Split Archive (10 - 15m or something)
7z ultra compression

you could then transfer each section at a time

or if you want, i'll give you an ftp account and you can upload them to my site (as a temporary thing..)

Permabanned
Windows Live Messenger is quicker than previous versions of MSN for file transfer. But, as has already been said, split into several files. If possible, use CRC error checking on the archive, too.

Personally, I just setup my own FTP server. Make sure the other person is using a download manager, such as Getright. This way, they can resume a download if the connection breaks. Once again, add CRC to the archive, just in case the download does stop.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all those great suggestions guys!

I think I'll use yousendit, it seems pretty easy!

Great stuff to know about in the future for anything I need to send, I'll file this post away for reference!

Thanks again :D

Don
Dutch Guy said:
I sent a 1.2Gb file with MSN once but splitting it is a bit safer if you get disconnected.

rockon.gif

keeping it real

Soldato
I've recieved a 200mb+ file over MSN before with no problems when we had a reliable internet connection.

But as said above you should split it so you don't have to do it all at once & so it's more reliable.

Back
Top Bottom