Summer plus one case fan equals BSOD

Soldato
Scince last week seems my PCs been hotting up which is strange as it's been hot for weeks now but it's idling at 55C atm and it's not that hot yet! When the afternoon comes it usually goes to 60C and if I do anything slightly intensive it pops above 60c and near 70c I get memory related BSODs.

Should be simple enough just get an intake fan as I ony have one case fan atm but I don't undertsn why it wasn't doing this before in the heat. I was playing BF2 in this heat but when I tried it last night well you can guesss what happened.

I't could be my amp which is also under my table but I was wondering if anything else could be wrong or should I just get a fan and stop complaining?

Soldato
OP
Asus A8N SLi
AMD64 3700+ @ 2.72GHz
Patriot 2GB PC3200 2-3-2-5
POV 7800GTX @ 490/1.30
WD 250GB 16MB Cache
NEC ND 4550
E-MU 0404
Hiper Type R 580W
Antec SLK 2500B

With an Artic Freezer 64 and the one case fan that came with the case. It's always usually idled at around 36c apart from in extreme heat. Just finished watching some HD material and the hottest tep recorded was 36!

Soldato
I'd say try the intake fan first (& I'm very suprised you don't have one). Think the other fans are just circulating hot air around, i.e. 'recycling' :D

Soldato
OP
Taking the side off does nothing unless I stick a large fan next to it, which I jave to do if I'm restarting the PC during the day.

Never had any spare money to get an intake and never needed one after I got the Artic Freezer, looks like I need one now though.

Soldato
Mundu said:
Taking the side off does nothing unless I stick a large fan next to it, which I jave to do if I'm restarting the PC during the day.

Never had any spare money to get an intake and never needed one after I got the Artic Freezer, looks like I need one now though.
No offence m8 but they cost about 5~12 quid, not a lot if you consider they are to avoid damaging componets/etc on your £xxx rig :eek: Problem is now, they might cost you more because of postage :(

Soldato
OP
I couldn't get the fan I wanted from the place I bought all my stuff which was here incidentaly so it'll work out the same anyway.

Going to get a nice quiet Nexus now anyway. :D

Soldato
OP
Turns out I was right to be worried. The clips the heatsink sucures itself to had snaped off! I realised the CPU had come off and decided to practice putting it back on as it's always given me trouble. I then realised it's not that I couldn't put it back on but that the clips had snapped off!

Now I suppose I have to get a replacement heatsink mount from somewhere which will involve having to unscrew the mobo. :( These are the time when you wish you had a removable motherboard tray. :(

Permabanned
Mundu said:
Is that it then? Even so I have no idea where to get a new one from and don't think anyone sells them. :(
youll find it hard to get one, best off buying the cheapest second hand 939 mobo ou can find or buy and aftermarket cooler that doesnt require the braket just a few off the top of my head,ALL akasa EVO coolers, CM hyper 6+, zalman flower coolers there are some good coolers out there that dont need the clips

Last edited:
Soldato
Mundu said:
Turns out I was right to be worried. The clips the heatsink sucures itself to had snaped off! I realised the CPU had come off and decided to practice putting it back on as it's always given me trouble. I then realised it's not that I couldn't put it back on but that the clips had snapped off!

Soldato
OP
mercyless said:
iirc the artic freezer 64 comes with a spare retension bracket ?

Does it? *Runs into loft, with the aid of a ladder of course!*

edit: The freezer 64 pro doesn't. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom