Website cost

Associate
Hi guys, ive been asked by someone to design them a website all about themselves. They wish to premote their books and give themselves a general biograph on the website to. [ He is a Acadmic lecuter ]

Anyway for a pretty simple site, just with a few custom buttons, and the normal stuff and a pretty much standard layout, what would the general charge be? Ive seen basic custom webdesigns varyying from£99-2000. Any ideas of what the going rate is for a standard webby?

Any replies wil be very apprechiated.

Dan

Soldato
I wouldn't know on an exact price but If he's looking at that including his hosting, domain, a nicely done website complying to standards then probably around £200-250.

If it's not a static website then you may be able to charge more.

Associate
Just charge whatever makes you feel you've made money on the project in return for delivering a site your client is happy with.

Have you done it before and therefore could you justify £500 for a two or three page site? If you're very good then maybe yes but what happens if the client comes back and says that's way too much.

There is no general charge for designing and developing a website this has been mentioned many times on this site, you'll get a load of different answers but in the end it's you doing the work. We all have different ways of pricing things and judging timescales plus other mitigating factors which can raise or lower costs (your location, your availability, the deadline, how good you are...).

Here in Kiev it's $600 / day for me but obviously it's up to you to justify whether you can or can't charge that also.

Soldato
nav... said:
Word of warning only charge a fixed fee, if you have the precise scope of what you will do set out to begin with. Else you'll end up making endless changes for the next six months.

Totally agree.

It depends really on your experience and portfolio.
Personally, I feel I need to build up my portfolio with 1 or 2 more decent sites before I can start to charge a bit more and do it for the money rather than mainly for the portfolio/experience.

To people starting out: At first, you need to be careful how much you ask for - if you havent got a good portfolio to show then you cant charge good money :D

Back
Top Bottom