Star Trek question!

Soldato
Okay. I'm not a Trek fan but it makes good enough TV when nothing else is on.

The Federation always get their arses kicked by these state of the art spaceships that have a cloaking device. I.e. The Klingons and Vulcans and Romulans etc.

Why doesn't the Federation adopt this technology?

And, whats the difference between the Vulcans and Romulans?

Soldato
Because we are thick, we entrusted our best starships in turn to a rampant womanizer, a bald man and a feminist.

Edit: Last startrek thread somebody came up with the "Rikeangle" whoever you are you made me wee myself.

Last edited:

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I think it went against their policy of not having anything to hide type of thing and being all open and touchy-feely towards other life etc.

Romulans are just moody Vulcans. They went off in a huff years ago to form their own race.

Associate
The Vulcans are part of the Federation. The Romulans developed it (at least in the Alpha Quadrant) and gave it to the Klingons ages ago as part of their alliance. There's a treaty that says the Federation shall not use cloaking devices as their ships are primarily for research and not war. Althoug the Defiant can use a cloaking device because the Romulans let them to help defeat the Dominion but it's the only one in the whole fleet who can.

:o

Ages ago the Vulcans were really violent and then they had a time of enlightenment when this guy called Serak (prob not his name actually) showed them the way of suppressing emotion and that's why they're like it now. The Vulcans who opposed this left Vulcan when the changes happened and settled on Romulus and evolved into the Romulans

:o :o

Man of Honour
/geek mode

The Federation don't fight the Vulcans as they are allies and Vulcan is part of the Federation and always has been.

The Federation always wins in the end. That is just the way it is.

They don't adopt cloaking devices because it is thought to be an underhand and cowardly and as the Federation consider themselves to be morally superior to such tactics.

Vulcans and Romulans were originally the same race but the Vulcans managed to control their violent instincts whereas the Romulans embraced it.

/end geek mode (before I get fat, have acne and never see daylight for fear of missing out in WoW. :p )

Associate
Federation did have a cloaking device technology but there was a treaty or agreement for them not to use one. More peaceful to not use one or something. However, did the Defiant have a cloak during the Cardisian war?

I think Vulcans andRomulans are like cousins.

Soldato
Don't they think it is 'immoral'? It's immoral right, but you get stuffed when the weapons officer says, "Romulan vessel decloaking off the starboard, captain".

There was a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode where the Enterprise has to go and find a Federation vessel lost in space. They find it but it is encased in a big massive rock thing known as an asteroid. It turns out that the Commander (beardy guy) was on that. He confides in Picard that the reason it is encased in the asteroid is the hush hush cloaking device they were testing kinda borked itself.

Picard is so furious at this revelation.:rolleyes: Well you gotta join them haven't you lad. How many Federation-ers die because they've got cloakies but you haven't?

Soldato
Oliver said:
There's a treaty that says the Federation shall not use cloaking devices as their ships are primarily for research and not war.

Technically not true :p

The Treaty of Algenon was drawn up after the Tomed Incident, which basically said in return for not shooting at each other, the Neurtal Zone would be observed by both sides (a breach being an act of war) and the Feds wouldn't use cloaking devices.

Associate
The Federation just doesn't have to technology to build a cloaking device. There was one episode in STNG when they had problems with people dying using an experimental cloaking device when they somehow materialised in an asteroid iirc...

The difference between a Romulan and a Vulcan is that they come from different planets silly :D

im not a die hard trekie btw so I could be very wrong :)

Associate
AJUK said:
geek mode

The Federation don't fight the Vulcans as they are allies and Vulcan is part of the Federation and always has been.

The Federation always wins in the end. That is just the way it is.

They don't adopt cloaking devices because it is thought to be an underhand and cowardly and as the Federation consider themselves to be morally superior to such tactics.

Vulcans and Romulans were originally the same race but the Vulcans managed to control their violent instincts whereas the Romulans embraced it.

/geek mode (before I get fat, have acne and never see daylight for fear of missing out in WoW. :p )

Fixed.

/grammer whore

Permabanned
eXSBass said:
Okay. I'm not a Trek fan but it makes good enough TV when nothing else is on.

The Federation always get their arses kicked by these state of the art spaceships that have a cloaking device. I.e. The Klingons and Vulcans and Romulans etc.

Why doesn't the Federation adopt this technology?

And, whats the difference between the Vulcans and Romulans?

You do know that its not real, dont you? And therefore the writers can do ANYTHING THEY WANT and it doesnt have to Make Sense?

Back
Top Bottom