Whistle Blower and a Grass

Man of Honour
These are two terms that I've never really understood and sometimes I don't really get why they're almost said in a derogatory (sp) fashion.

As medics we're expected to report suspicions of foul play within a care setting to the authorities; while this action may result in lives being saved people probably don't do it as often as they *should* for fear of being labelled a whistleblower which can affect their reputation and career.

A grass. What does this actually mean? Last night a lad was far too drunk for his own good. He could barely stand up and was knocking into groups of people and several of them were starting to threaten violence. He also got quite perverted with one of my female friends (who ripped him to shreds bless her :D). We then decided to tell the bouncer about this guy probably for his own safety in more ways than one. Yet when we told the story to a housemate this morning he just scoffed and called us a little bunch of grasses. What gives? :confused:

Soldato
I agree with you, I've never understood why people seem to frown upon it. Pathetic really.

It's your housemate (and people like him) that have a problem, not you.

Soldato
greenlizard0 said:
Aye I know that, like i'd always be loyal to my mates but surely in what happened last night we were right to inform the bouncer?

Why? You said your friend dealt with him...

and the medic thing...you work with people, develop a relationship and then you inform on them when they make a mistake...nobody else will trust you after that, they could be the next person you inform on...its not that strange.

Back
Top Bottom