N80 Connecting to WLAN

Soldato
I just got my N80 today on Three, I am trying to connect to my router, it searches for it, finds it as default then asks me for the WEP key, I put the key in and it says connecting and then it says Unable to connect WLAN not found. How is that?

EDIT

Fixed it now, I had it set to open system instead of shared key

Last edited:
Soldato
N80 Wlan is fantastic, it manages the connection better than my WM2003 PDA does.

It's a bit of a whore for battery power though, I go from full to empty in 48 hours with probably 60 mins of voice, a dozen texts and an hour or so of WLAN or 3G web access.

Other than that, no complaints at all (well, except the slide mechanism isn't the best, I'd rather it was spring loaded).

Soldato
OP
Couple of questions

Browsing web pages, at one point when I pressed back I had a view of mini pages that I had visited, I really liked this but now I can't get it on again, instead when I press back now it just reloads the previous page. Also I had like a mouse cursor that made scrolling the page much faster, any idea how to get that?

Some sites will not load like OcUk forum, the OcUk web page works but when you try access the forum it says the phone does not support the content, any way around this?

Soldato
Trying to get that now for my phone...

probably missed something, but I go to http://mini.opera.com and click "download wizard" and it asks me what phone and model I have got.... i then get a page sayign it's compatible etc, and to navigate to mini.opera.com where I've just come from and click "download"... but I can't see a download link :confused:

Soldato
Browsing web pages, at one point when I pressed back I had a view of mini pages that I had visited, I really liked this but now I can't get it on again, instead when I press back now it just reloads the previous page. Also I had like a mouse cursor that made scrolling the page much faster, any idea how to get that?

Go into the browser and go to Options -> Settings -> General. There should be a "history list" option and make sure that this is set to "On". If this doesn't work then it's probably because your phone doesn't have enough memory left to store the previous pages.

As for the mouse pointer, I find that I only get it when viewing full websites. Sites that redirect me to a wap version make the pointer disappear.

I can't say that I've ever experienced any problems visiting forums.

Install Opera Mini, it's a much better browser.

Nokia's new browser is by far the best mobile browser I've ever tried. The page overview is very handy and it formats the pages great for the screen size. The built-in RSS reader is pretty handy too!

Caporegime
Just downloaded a copy of opera mini for my w810i, seems to work fine...only thing is that its installed itself within the application folder so everytime i go to the internet on my phone, opera doesnt start automatically.

Anyone know how to sort this out or is it a case of opening opera manually??

Soldato
Just installed Opera mini via the data cable... and it displays everything in a single column rather than preserving the original look and feel of the website.

First impressions are that I much prefer the new Nokia browser, with the exception that it doesn't like the OcUK forums (gives an unsupported content type error).

Suspended
PeterNem said:
Just installed Opera mini via the data cable... and it displays everything in a single column rather than preserving the original look and feel of the website.
That's odd, it displays things properly for me :confused:

edit: Oh I see what you mean. I find it easier to navigate in Opera though, it's a lot quicker to scroll up and down than Nokia's browser.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone tried to use wi-fi in Asda ?. Walking around the other day, just for the hell of it i searched for a hotspot and it came up, and while walking around the signal got stronger and weaker, not sure if this is just for staff "handhelds" or for the customers. Also can't see on any hotspot site that my asda does have access.

I'd try but i dunno how to set it up.

Soldato
youstolemyid said:
Has anyone tried to use wi-fi in Asda ?. Walking around the other day, just for the hell of it i searched for a hotspot and it came up, and while walking around the signal got stronger and weaker, not sure if this is just for staff "handhelds" or for the customers. Also can't see on any hotspot site that my asda does have access.

I'd try but i dunno how to set it up.

If it's anything like Tesco and Sainsburys they'll have Cisco Aironet 1200 series access points to enable use of wireless devices by staff within the store.

They'll most likely be encrypted with something a little stronger than your average home connection using a radius server or somesuch - they're not meant for public use.

In Sainsburys and Tesco you often see them wondering around with Intermec 700c handhelds. These run windows mobile and are basically PDAs in a thick rubber skin with a keypad for data entry - they also have an intergrated barcode scanner.

Staff can then scan things on the shop floor and perform various functions with some application that will be running on a server somewhere. You'll often see them printing price reduction labels and that kind of thing.

Associate
PeterNem said:
If it's anything like Tesco and Sainsburys they'll have Cisco Aironet 1200 series access points to enable use of wireless devices by staff within the store.

They'll most likely be encrypted with something a little stronger than your average home connection using a radius server or somesuch - they're not meant for public use.

In Sainsburys and Tesco you often see them wondering around with Intermec 700c handhelds. These run windows mobile and are basically PDAs in a thick rubber skin with a keypad for data entry - they also have an intergrated barcode scanner.

Staff can then scan things on the shop floor and perform various functions with some application that will be running on a server somewhere. You'll often see them printing price reduction labels and that kind of thing.

Yeah, i thought as much, i wasn't sure if they are "accessable" by the public though, when i tried it asked for a password but i don't know how to use the wi-fi anyway. Wasn't sure if you had the password then it would work or not.

Thanks.

Soldato
OP
Cheers, tried Opera and I prefer it too the Nokia browser, seems faster, but I don't like how it wraps the website to make it fit on the phone, still not bad at all, plus it lets me on the forum

Back
Top Bottom