AOL diggs deeper with Netscape

Sic

Sic

Soldato
i know it's only a beta, but those x's really add an air of professionalism.

like we need a new social portal :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Dj_Jestar said:
I thought NetScape was a ™ of MS now?
AOL bought the company behind Netscape a couple of years ago. Netscape (the browser) has changed quite a bit over the years and is now developed by AOL, using various bits and pieces of technology from the Mozilla codebase etc.

Netscape.com is an AOL product.

Man of Honour
Sic said:
i know it's only a beta, but those x's really add an air of professionalism.
The site is |33t under IE7, I particularly like the overlays to the right :p

betanetscape.com.gif

Soldato
OP
iCraig said:
I don't care. What is there, like 7 people who still use Netscape?
Depends what you're talking about. Netscape.com != Netcape Browser. Netscape.com's share of traffic is fairly significant, with Alexa placing it in the top 100 English-language sites on the Web (86th) and around the 50th most popular in the US. Which is certainly more than 7 people :D.

Having said that, it's reach appears to have dropped quite considerably in recent months - which probably accounts for the relaunch.

As for the Netscape browser, well yes it's probably a dead weight for AOL. It (including all versions) shares a <1% marketshare across the board... incidentally just like Opera does.

Soldato
Augmented said:
incidentally just like Opera does.
Its a shame that opera only became free after firefox became the big thing. Opera is a much better browser IMO. The tab system in firefox is clumsy, for me opera loads much quicker, and it renders pages better (is more compliant?) than firefox. Many other features too, like being able to "continue from last time" - the app starts with what you were last looking at.

Soldato
OP
!Mega-old-thread-bumping-action!

Go visit The Register, and read the article "Netscape versus Digg". Can't link directly to it, but suffice to say some of Netscape.com's front-end coders will be having a talking to today :D.

Back
Top Bottom