Timing Belt/Chain

Associate
A quick query for you all. My car is a 2001 (Y) Nissan Almera 1.5s. Just from reading around a little I believed that my car was fitted with a timing chain instead of a timing belt, which meant that it didnt need changing at all (or on a longer time scale)
My car is about 5 years old now (bought nearly 2 years ago) and the recommended timing belt change is usually 5 years or so many thousand miles, now im well below the milage quota at only 26000 but I have now started worrying about this.

I had a look under the bonnet for belts and chains and the like and I see no chain but instead see a belt to the left of the engine which looks to me very much like it would be a timing belt (something I thought I did not have)

Firstly a pic of the engine, to the left is where these belts are.
engine.jpg

And a close up of this area
timing1.jpg

And finally a bit further out so get a better idea of location.
timing2.jpg

The belt runs around a few things (as youd expect) further back and below and as soon as the engine is running it is moving.

Can anybody confirm whether on not this is the fabled timing belt or not ?

Thanks

Associate
That is an auxillary belt for the alternator, power steering pump and any other ancillaries.

Sounds like you have a chain, so no need to change it me thinks.

Soldato
engine.jpg

The red arrow is pointing to where the ends of your twin cams are. Since there's no plastic cover on the end of your engine, it indicates that you have a timing chain rather than a belt. Easy way to identify the cam driver, btw.

The light blue arrow points to the rest of that belt you originally pointed out. It's a belt that drives all the auxillaries (as pointed out by someone else). The point the arrow is identifying just so happens to be your alternator.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
There is another belt just to the right of the pictured belt and towards the front of the car (visible in the first picture on what looks like an alternator to me) Just answered my own query on this one :)

Soldato
Yep defo a chain in there, can tell by the fact theres no belt cover. That belt is either PAS or AC, i'm guessing PAS as the pump aint up front.

Soldato
Fishman said:
I do have another belt that looks to go to the alternator.

Any idea where I need to look to find this chain ?

No probs

The black part that says "Twin cam 16V" on it covers the camshaft. If you remove that cover, you'll see the cam sprockets and the timing chain on the left end of the engine.

Soldato
I have never dealt with a chain before, but I guess to get at it you need to remove the rocker cover and the side cover, I notice theres a bunch of bolts on there. Chains don't need changing for a loooong time though. I guess a 5 year old car won't need it changing!

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the replies !, having looked a bit more carefully and thinking about it, the belts I see drive the alternator and AC, I didnt see a powersteering one but it must be in there or in part of the AC bit.

Its going in for a service and MOT which is why I started thinking about it and having a look. I was reading the service book and it mentioned 5 year changing of the cam belt for the section that included my car so I guess it just refers to a different model

Gonna go examine my gf's fiesta to see what it looks like !

Associate
OP
Third Opinion said:
The Nissan 1.5 does have a habit of chains failing. However you will hear them well before they fail completely unlike a belt.

I would think a chain is easier to replace than a belt as well unless you cant easily stick the ends together as you can relatively easily on a moutain bike

Soldato
Third Opinion said:
Erm no it's a full strip down I am afraid.

A timing chain isnt a full strip down if thats what you ment. If you take the plugs out you can normally pull the new chain through with the old one as long as the cams are still turning while your pulling it(not really easy but is a lot easier than a strip down).

Soldato
Chains are life long, but the chain will have a tensioner - that'll need replacing some time between 100k and 150k. Handbook will tell you more.

Back
Top Bottom