speaker specing

Soldato
hello there.

im after some speakers to go in the front of my civic, 5 inch ones.

currently all i have a some 6x9's which i plan to do away with when i get a sub.

will just some front full range speakers be enough to give listenable results as theres no room for tweaters up front and i have no wiring skills what so ever pretty much?

what do you guys suggest? and if someone could spec me some decent 5" speakers from car auido direct it would be much appreciated.

price isnt much of an issue but the cheaper/bang for buck the better

cheers

p.s the head unit is a pioneer 77mp which they will be running from unless they get hooked up to an amp later down the line

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
pho - mines a 94 so not on there but cheers anyway

vanilla - so these will sound good enough from my HU then as when the 6x9s go these will be the only speakers in the car, or will be a case of upgrading down the line?

Soldato
They will sound good with the HU because the RMS rating is low (your head unit can not put out a lot of power).

They will also sound good amped and will require less power than omg 150w rms speakers.

Soldato
OP
well the head unit is 50w mosfet.

so between the ones you stated and these which would be better, these have a higher rms but lower peak so im guessing that means they wouldnt be so good amoed as the others ???

Soldato
The 50W rating is max. Realistically it's much less (10-20).

Higher watts does not mean better quality!

Those you linked are also a good buy.

Soldato
OP
i see, so which will it be my good man, the ones you linked or i link (sorry to be a pain but i dont know much about this)

Soldato
OP
right after a short chat to some people on the civic owner site i use it appears you can fit 17cm's with a minor mod so i'm do that, i'll just grab the infinities in that size.

what i would now like to know ( :) ) please if anyone has ordered from a site called car audio security?? They seem to have some very very tempting deals that i want to buy.

Soldato
Vanilla said:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4773

These because they have a low-ish RMS and so would be better suited to being powered by your head unit.

Later on you can still amp them.

Vanilla said:
They will sound good with the HU because the RMS rating is low (your head unit can not put out a lot of power).

how does that work? hi or low rating wont make it sound better it just tells you the max power they can take.

senstivity will give you an idea of how loud they will go compared to another speaker with the same input power. i.e. a more sensitive speaker will sound louder on the same amplifier than a less sensitive speaker.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
where would i mount the tweater and crossover as theres no tweaters in my car ?

noticed you linked to Caraudiosecurity, have you used them ?

Soldato
TomO said:
how does that work? hi or low rating wont make it sound better it just tells you the max power they can take.

senstivity will give you an idea of how loud they will go compared to another speaker with the same input power. i.e. a more sensitive speaker will sound louder on the same amplifier than a less sensitive speaker.

If a speaker has high RMS they are made to work and sound at their optimum at that level and with that input. This is almost always a level and power rating that a HU can not provide to drive the speakers.

By going for a lower RMS pair of speakers you are better matching your speakers to the input they will be given.

Soldato
Vanilla said:
If a speaker has high RMS they are made to work and sound at their optimum at that level and with that input. This is almost always a level and power rating that a HU can not provide to drive the speakers.

By going for a lower RMS pair of speakers you are better matching your speakers to the input they will be given.

not necessarily. many hifi speakers have recommened inputs. its not always the case that the higher the max recommend power is the higher the minimum recommended. :)

Back
Top Bottom