Multiport network adapters

Associate
I've been looking for a NIC with multiple gigabit ethernet ports but have so far only been able to find ones for MACs. I would have thought that they're available for PCs as well but alas no joy thus far.

Not especially bothered if it's PCI, PCI-X or PCI-e but does anyone know of a manufacturer who makes them?

Associate
They do exist, I have come across them before on my searches for various networking items. Unfortunatly I couldn't name any particular models, will have a look around and see if i can dig any up for you

All the best

Associate
OP
Intel Pro/1000 MT Quad port - £1362 :eek: maybe a bit pricey for my needs!
Also seems to have far more functionality than I require, any more ideas? I just want a simple 4 port Gigabit adapter. How hard can it be?

Soldato
If you want four ports, why not connect a switch up to a single port on the machine?

It is only if you want different subnets that you would need four distinct ports

Associate
OP
Andre said:
If you want four ports, why not connect a switch up to a single port on the machine?

It is only if you want different subnets that you would need four distinct ports

I want to use link aggregation in order to increase the bandwidth of the link. The situation I have is multiple slave PCs sending information to a master PC via gigabit ethernet through a switch. Link aggregation will be used between the switch and the master PC. From what I gather, I require a switch supporting it then a network adapter for each cable coming from the switch. It is cheaper to buy a switch capable of LA then to buy a network adapter which supports it, so I was looking for a basic multiport adapter to save on PCI slots.

Man of Honour
well, I think you're crazy really, I've set up exchange clusters for thousands of users and none of the servers have more than 2 NIC ports teamed for any one purpose. unless it's a *really* big server it won't be able to process the data and even if it could a PCI slot can't do unblocked bandwidth for even a single gigabit port so it doesn't matter.

if you have these requirements then it's because you're server architecture isn't well designed.

yes, the intel 4 port card is expensive but not that much for enterprise user, if you can't afford it you don't need it. why not just use 2 or more cards and team across them anyway, it doesn't need to be on the same card. and also if i understand what you're doing then you'll need a managed gig switch supporting etherchannel (a cisco 2970G would be my choice).

I'd think carefully about your requirements as you simply don't need 4 gig interfaces on a machine...

Associate
OP
bigredshark said:
well, I think you're crazy really, I've set up exchange clusters for thousands of users and none of the servers have more than 2 NIC ports teamed for any one purpose. unless it's a *really* big server it won't be able to process the data and even if it could a PCI slot can't do unblocked bandwidth for even a single gigabit port so it doesn't matter.

if you have these requirements then it's because you're server architecture isn't well designed.

yes, the intel 4 port card is expensive but not that much for enterprise user, if you can't afford it you don't need it. why not just use 2 or more cards and team across them anyway, it doesn't need to be on the same card. and also if i understand what you're doing then you'll need a managed gig switch supporting etherchannel (a cisco 2970G would be my choice).

I'd think carefully about your requirements as you simply don't need 4 gig interfaces on a machine...

The application I want to use this for is not as you describe. As I pointed out previously, the slave PCs are all passing data to the master PC. For the next systems being designed we have found that the bandwidth of the Gigabit ethernet conection to the master PC is all being used up, causing sporadic erroneous behaviour. Therefore I have been looking in some kind of link aggregation in order to boost the bandwidth available on the stretch between switch and master PC.

Man of Honour
sinister_stu said:
The application I want to use this for is not as you describe. As I pointed out previously, the slave PCs are all passing data to the master PC. For the next systems being designed we have found that the bandwidth of the Gigabit ethernet conection to the master PC is all being used up, causing sporadic erroneous behaviour. Therefore I have been looking in some kind of link aggregation in order to boost the bandwidth available on the stretch between switch and master PC.

First up, the PC cannot process that much data coming in unless it's a serious box (quad xeons etc...doesn't have that, can't do it!).

Next, are you using a PCIe or pci-x NIC, if not then you can't get gigabit throughput as PCI can only do around 700mbps.

if the link is saturated you could do NIC teaming but this doesn't require multi port cards, just multiple cards will do fine. but the data will ikely just queue in the machine anyway, better by far to cluster master machines to provide more capacity.

What you are talking about won't get you any notable speed increase at all. You can spend a fortune on link aggregation and it won't get you anything.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the information bigredshark, I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this field so help is appreciated.

The information coming in is images, which are then searched with a very fast algorithm in order to find particular patterns, so a reasonably modest PC can be used for the master. Not all of the images are displayed due to bandwidth limitations, this, amongst other things, is what I am trying to achieve.

In any case, PCI-X network adapters are currently used for the reasons you stated.

Permabanned
I agree with bigredshark,
it's a pretty big lump of iron that can cope with a saturated gig link, never mind a quad one. :eek:
You could look at multiple gig cards, some industrial motherboards have a lot of free slots

or get the slave PC's to upload to a 4 Gbps fibre channel SAN,
then the master can work asyncronously.

Man of Honour
bitslice said:
I agree with bigredshark,
it's a pretty big lump of iron that can cope with a saturated gig link, never mind a quad one. :eek:
You could look at multiple gig cards, some industrial motherboards have a lot of free slots

or get the slave PC's to upload to a 4 Gbps fibre channel SAN,
then the master can work asyncronously.

I'd put HBA cards in the slaves and plug them into a dedicated iSCSI platform, then get the master to process from that. iSCSI kit has some fancy IO capabilities and would provide great performance. then again, you'd expect it for the money you'd be talking about....

Back
Top Bottom