I before E except after...

Suspended
What letter? I thought it was C but ive just searched for how to spell sieve, as in a metal sieve that is used in the kitchen.

Its a weird spelling and sounds nothing like how you say it "siv"

What other stupid english words can you think of?

Last edited:
Soldato
geeza said:
What letter? I thought it was C but ive just searched for how to spell siev, as in a metal sieve that is used in the kitchen.

Its a weird spelling and sounds nothing like how you say it "siv"

What other stupid english words can you think of?

Er..it is i before e except after C? There's no c in sieve? :p

Annoying word : Bough

(pronounced Bow)

Soldato
Kazatan said:
and there are always exceptions to the rules in our language. but these "rules" generally hold true.

I used to think there were more exceptions than rules - I used to teach English as a foreign language and the look of confusion on people's faces when they'd finally grasped a 'rule' just to be told that there were exceptions that had no real 'rules' around how they were used was priceless :D

Suspended
OP
kitten_caboodle said:
I used to think there were more exceptions than rules - I used to teach English as a foreign language and the look of confusion on people's faces when they'd finally grasped a 'rule' just to be told that there were exceptions that had no real 'rules' around how they were used was priceless :D

lol. for the life of me I dont know why I was made to take a second language, couldnt I just have double helpings of english (or another gym lesson) :p

Soldato
kitten_caboodle said:
if you take each of the letters and pronounce them as they are in the word he's given, then it says 'fish' even though it's clearly not spelt that way :)

It's just an example of how the phonetic spelling of words can be interesting.
ah! thanks :D :o

Suspended
OP
so, for all you people learnign english its

"I before E except after every other letter in the english language!"

Back
Top Bottom