illegal to cycle on the pavement in london?

Associate
Hey all,

i just learnt how to ride a bike about a week ago and since then i've bought a cheapy bike from halfords and have been riding it around the local park and using it to commute to my local station. My friend told me that you can get a £30 fine for riding on the pavement, just wondering if that is for the total borough of london or just in central London.

There are hardly any cycle routes in my area and what there are of them they end after a few metres! So i often have to go on the pavement!

I've googled it and seen only rants about it. On my travels i've had a chat with a policeman who sed i had a nice bike (while i was on the pavement) i would have asked him then but my friend only mentioned it today!

(i'm 21 in sept and never had a bike as a kid, if you can't cycle u **** learn how to! instead of playing cs i've been out gettin fit/tired)

Soldato
well done for getting out and learning to ride, most people dont bother once theyre so old.

it is illegal to ride on pavements though and you can get fined but im not sure how strict police are in london about it. :(

if the pavements are empty i dont see a problem with it tbh.

Suspended
Andelusion said:
Riding on the pavement anywhere is illegal afaik.

Correct, probably just a warning but I guess depending on the copper, I guess if you're zooming along at a fast rate of speed will get done...but if you're a kid riding slow on the pavement probably turn a blind eye.

Since you're 21 you should ride on the road...you're not a kid. I hope you didn't buy a FS bike for onroad riding (see that a lot) :rolleyes:

I don't bother riding on "cycle lanes" they're short, full of glass, and start/stop at funny locations.

Last edited:
Associate
Its safer and better for everyone if cyclists are on the paths.

I go on paths whenever I can, thankfully I don't have to ride to any place where I need to go on the road... my bike is basically a hazard...the pedals fell off while riding home once.

Soldato
put your flame suit on dude the "think of the women and children" gang will be here shortly

fact : threads about cycling always turn into a flamefest

:p

Associate
Ride on the path mate. I've cycled past police and they've done nothing, it's a stupid law, as long as you're not reckless the police won't do anything. What's worse- hitting a pedestrian on a bike? or getting knocked over by a car on your bike?

Associate
Cuchulain said:
Apart from pedestrians, and of course not forgetting the fact that's it's actually illegal.

So is shouting at people, does that mean you don't shout at people beacuse it's illegal? As I've said the police aren't bothered as long as you're not being reckless.

Suspended
ArmyofHarmony said:

I go on paths whenever I can, thankfully I don't have to ride to any place where I need to go on the road... my bike is basically a hazard...the pedals fell off while riding home once.

I don't think hitting a pedastrian at 30mph is "safe" for anyone, I can easily reach that speed.

And not forgetting constant kurbs, slowing down, bunny hopping etc. Only kids ride on pavements. A 16 mile journet would be impossible, or take twice as long if I were to ride on pavements. Plus knacker my road rims.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Andelusion said:
Riding on the pavement anywhere is illegal afaik.

I think this is true.

I once got knocked over by a cyclist in Brighton while I was waiting for a bus.

Yeah I did shout at them for that especially as there were big clear cycle lanes right next to the pavement she was cycling on.

Now that frustrates me.

BB x

Soldato
Carlos_S said:
Ride on the path mate. I've cycled past police and they've done nothing, it's a stupid law, as long as you're not reckless the police won't do anything. What's worse- hitting a pedestrian on a bike? or getting knocked over by a car on your bike?
Yeah, unless you are being dangerous you would normally just get a ticking off at worst.

Plus in South Manchester the cops on bikes always cycle on the pavements, and I have walked round a corner into one cycling the other way once, much to the guy's embarrassment after I pointed out the illegality of his actions :p

Soldato
ArmyofHarmony said:

That's only true if you ride your bike at an incredibly slow speed in my opinion. If you go bombing it around a blind corner on your bike, who's to say you're not going to ride straight into a pushchair? A pavement is a two-way system, a road is one-way - less chance of pummeling into someone.

-RaZ

Soldato
ArmyofHarmony said:
my bike is basically a hazard...the pedals fell off while riding home once.

Then you shouldnt be riding it anywhere until it's fixed. On yhe road you're a hazard as you rightly state due to your bike's poor state of repair, and on the footpath you're an inconvenience to pedestrians.

Back
Top Bottom