DS Connection - IP Conflict error message?

Associate
After some help please, I posted a few days ago about trying to setup my DS to connect wirelessly to my Wanadoo Livebox. Well I managed to set it up by inputting the settings manually and setting my wireless security to WEP only.

I used the IP, Gateway and Subnet mask details by right clicking on the wireless connection on my pc and finding the details there, I then inputted the primary and secondary dns settings from my routers config page.

This worekd and my DS connected to my livebox straight away, however I then got a Windows System error message saying there was an IP address Conflict and that something else was sharing the IP address on the connection and basically shut down the connection. Now obviously the DS is the other IP address user, the thing is the DS was still able to access wifi ok but my wireless connection on my pc shut down and I got a red cross over the connection tab.

So after finally getting my DS connected wirelessly, it seems that my pc doesn't like the fact its using the same IP, can anyone offer any help/advice please. I am using Windows XP Service Pk2 if that helps.

Associate
you will need to change the ip on either your pc or ds lite to another ip address. you can't have 2 machines with the same ip address

i.e

192.168.0.1 = machine 1
192.168.0.2 = machine 2

all the rest will stay the same, subnet mask, gateway and dns servers.

Associate
OP
Thx mate, sussed that bit out now, changed the DS ip address and it connects and no error message anymore.

However I am now getting another strange thing, my Livebox is now set to WEP security only and my wireless connection the same with network authentication set to open and the correct wep key in. After a short while now my wireless connection tab in the bottom right of my pc screen shows a red cross over it indicating a dropped connection.

When I click on the connection it says I am disconnected but then underneath it says I am connected to the network. I can still browse the net ok and the DS is connected but there is a red cross over the connection tab?

Any ideas anyone why this is please anyone?

Associate
OP
Ok further update to the problem, it is now logging me out of my wireless connection every now and then. It will be working fine with a green wireless tab showing I am connected, then all of a sudden it will come up with a message saying unable to connect to preferred network and log me out, I then have to reconnect manually and it works again.

This is obviously not right, anyone got any ideas please why its doing this, any remedies to sort it out would be appreciated.

Thx.

Associate
What signal strength do you get when connected?
Do you have the latest drivers for your wireless card in your pc and the latest firmware for your router?

Associate
OP
It says signal strength is excellent, my laptop has inbuilt wireless and I have the latest firmware on the router.

Associate
Sounds a little strange. Has this only happened since you connected the ds lite to the router? is their any reason why you are manually assigning ip addresses and not using dhcp for auto ip's?

Associate
OP
How do I use DHCP please, not sure where or how to access that. Yes it has started happening since I connected the DS to the router.

Associate
in the network side of the router there should be an option to use it as a dhcp server. this would mean that all the network information e.g. ip address, subnet mask, gateway and dns servers are automatically assigned to any device which attaches to it. it makes things so much easier and simpler. all you would need to do then is, in the properties of the tcp/ip protocol of the network device, is set it to obtain the ip address automatically.

Associate
OP
Ok I'm at work now but will look at that later. Do you think that will help alleviate the problem I'm having with my wireless connection?

Associate
OP
Ok i'll try later tonight when I get home, do you reckon I may have to reset my router and set up my wireless connection again.

Back
Top Bottom