Polish

Associate
Hi all,

Just wondering what the best polish is for a metalic black car?

Need something which is going to last a while with a good end result. Dont dont really want to be paying well over the odds for it though.

Cheers. :)

Caporegime
I get good results with, Meg Stage 1 Paint cleaner / Auto Glym Super Resin Polish / Meg NXT Tech Wax / Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

Pic should give you some sort of idea, not been waxed in a month or so, thats just after a quick Megs Wash.

July1.jpg

July4.jpg

Permabanned
Firestar_3x said:
I get good results with, Meg Stage 1 Paint cleaner / Auto Glym Super Resin Polish / Meg NXT Tech Wax / Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

Pic should give you some sort of idea, not been waxed in a month or so, thats just after a quick Megs Wash.

You go over your car 4 times?

Permabanned
Firestar_3x said:

Need to clean the wheels tbh! ;)

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:

Lol! :D

I have to go over mine a few times too. Black cars really are a PITA to keep clean! Have to wash it twice usually, then dry, then polish with Autoglym resin stuff or wax with Zymol stuff.

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:

Aren't the NXT and Extra Gloss Protection both waxes though? I would have thought that would be slightly overkill.

I've got a tub of P21S i'm waiting to try on my car as its supposed to be good for dark paints - i'll let you know how it goes.

Caporegime
Gaijin said:
Aren't the NXT and Extra Gloss Protection both waxes though? I would have thought that would be slightly overkill.

I've got a tub of P21S i'm waiting to try on my car as its supposed to be good for dark paints - i'll let you know how it goes.

Could be called overkill but i really don't mind putting the effort in if its going to stay clean about 30 seconds longer ;)

Let me know how the Carnauba wax goes, its a pain to put on so i hear?

Soldato
Exactly the OP needs to understand that polishes aren't waxes!

Polishes are surface preperation compounds that 'rub' the top surface away very slightly leaving the original paintwork ready for sealing.

Waxes are the finishing sealing coat which makes it look super shiny and makes the water run off...

Some products are a mixture of the above, but better results can be had with having seperate compounds. :)

Soldato
Firestar_3x said:
Could be called overkill but i really don't mind putting the effort in if its going to stay clean about 30 seconds longer ;)

Let me know how the Carnauba wax goes, its a pain to put on so i hear?

I tested it on a front wing the other day and the results did seem good - no real difficulty applying or removing it either.

I would like to apply it to the full car before i pass judgement however.

Soldato
killz4thrills said:
What makes the porter cable so special?

Its really expensive, and I was looking to save some armache with a rechargable argos job with no cables...

Shame it sounds crap !
Cheap ones aren't much cop, cheap re-chargeables are pointless!

I must admit that I do wonder when people post a picture of a car which looks like half of its been sanded in rough wet and dry and the other half looks like a mirror and say "OMFG look what a pc can do" I'm sure the compounds that are used and the guy on the other end of it have just as much impact on the finished result.

I'm sure they are great bits of kit but I also think that too much importance is put on just how much of that is down to the polisher being a pc as opposed to a lesser brand?

I think if you are going to go cheaper I think its important you look for a "random orbital polisher"

Soldato
The Porter Cable is recommended as it seems to be the best value for money random orbital around. Just like everything else in life there are cheaper variants around but the PC comes highly recommended by all of the pro detailers.

At the end of the day it's only £200 and it will last for years and years. You'll probably sell your car for £200 more if it had been PC'd rather than a swirly mess.

Back
Top Bottom