Gigabyte GA_965P_DS4 Problems

Associate
Any one know the answer to this?

NVidia 7950 is ment to work on non-SLI mobos? I.e it should work fine on a Gigabyte 965-DS4. True or False?

My rig is in peaces all over my room, and im between an upgrade to get my 7950 out of its bottle neck.

Going amd now would be a waste, conroe is the way, so i need an answer to get my mobo for now. Conroe CPU to come later.

Don
OP
WesleyBurns said:
Any one know the answer to this?

NVidia 7950 is ment to work on non-SLI mobos? I.e it should work fine on a Gigabyte 965-DS4. True or False?

My rig is in peaces all over my room, and im between an upgrade to get my 7950 out of its bottle neck.

Going amd now would be a waste, conroe is the way, so i need an answer to get my mobo for now. Conroe CPU to come later.

I'm 95% sure that it doesnt need a SLI motherboard

Soldato
Yeah you don't have to have an SLI board. Check out the compatibility page on the Nvidia website, the DS3,4 and 6 aren't mentioned. That doesn't mean they aren't compatible, just they haven't been tested. I'd ask Gigabyte :)

Soldato
Its because of the damn P180! Trying to get all those cables through those two small holes and still keep them tidy is impossible. I will attempt to tidy it up once my 6600 comes. As for the temps, I'm using the EasyTune 5 software that comes with the board.

Don
OP
killer_uk said:
Its because of the damn P180! Trying to get all those cables through those two small holes and still keep them tidy is impossible. I will attempt to tidy it up once my 6600 comes. As for the temps, I'm using the EasyTune 5 software that comes with the board.

I thought about installing that, is it any good?

Stelly

Soldato
Stelly said:
I thought about installing that, is it any good?

Stelly

Well I've only had a quick look at it. Seems decent enough. It's got a hardware monitor, voltages, temps and stuff like that. You can overclock with it to. CPU and memory voltages, cpu (fsb) and memory frequency, agp/pci-x frequency, pci frequency.

EDIT: There is also CIA MIB (overclocking thingy?) and Smart Fan which are greyed out for some reason.

Don
OP
killer_uk said:
Well I've only had a quick look at it. Seems decent enough. It's got a hardware monitor, voltages, temps and stuff like that. You can overclock with it to. CPU and memory voltages, cpu (fsb) and memory frequency, agp/pci-x frequency, pci frequency.

EDIT: There is also CIA MIB (overclocking thingy?) and Smart Fan which are greyed out for some reason.

Might install it tomorrow, see how things go with it :)

Stelly

Associate
Stelly said:
Thats what I wanted to do but Gigabyte are going to have to sort the BIOS as there is no way to boot from RAID in the BIOS :(

Stelly

EDIT: Maybe I could just kill my RAID array, move it onboard, and take the 1210SA out... one more PCI slot ..

Last edited:
Associate
Stelly said:
Tell me about it I have 2 raptors and I want RAID 0 but cant!!! :(

Stelly

Snap!

Can we not just stick them on board?

Problem is then - can we overclock, are the frequencies locked etc?

Had this headache with AMD boards before - although I think if you locked the PCI-X frequency to 101, this locked the SATA's too ? I can't remember lol

Associate
Stelly

Got my setup running last night.

Could not get the RAID onboard working at all.

Not a big disappointment though - I was able to plug my SA1210 in and use that for RAID. I just need two SATA ports to run my other two 250Gb SATA's

Pain in the backside though, as I wouldn't have minded a free PCI slot.

Permabanned
rlculver said:
Hi,

Got the DQ6 version of this board!!!!!

Setup my RAID0 (Using intel Chipset) and load drivers through a USB floppy. Start to laod windows and as soon as 'Starting setup for windows is displayed on the bootkm bar during windows setup, it blue screens with a stop error.

I then take RAID off and the computer is then fine, can find HDD etc.

Any ideas?

I might just run the rig with setting up a RAID, but it would be nice to know why it produces a stop error!!!

The STOP error does not provide much information with regards to the error!

I have the same issue although did not install the drivers during the installation of windows, I can create an RAID 0 stripe no problem but as you say the PC just blue screens just after the XP splash screen.

Also it seems that you can not install the driver post windows installation as it can't detect a RAID controller.

Back
Top Bottom