Swapping HDD to new system - Help needed

Associate
Hey, I am currently building a new system and I have got to the point where I need to transfer my IDE ATA/133 Hard Drive to my new rig.

It is a Maxtor 4R060L0 and I would like a method of successfully transfering it to my new setup without losing any data.

More details can be given if you need them.

Help is appreciated, thanks. :)

Soldato
If you have two devices on the same IDE cable then one device has to be set to Master, and the other Slave. Which way around really doesn't matter. However it is generally better to have HDDs on a separate cable to Optical drives - but its not a major concern.

If you plan to use your HDD as the boot drive then it will need to be set as Master.

SiriusB

Associate
OP
SiriusB said:
If you have two devices on the same IDE cable then one device has to be set to Master, and the other Slave. Which way around really doesn't matter. However it is generally better to have HDDs on a separate cable to Optical drives - but its not a major concern.

If you plan to use your HDD as the boot drive then it will need to be set as Master.

SiriusB
Okay so I connect the optical drive to one cable and the hdd to the other.

and i will definatly keep all my data?

Soldato
Yep. Data shouldn't go anywhere unless you've been doing kick-ups with your HDD.

EDIT - if you plan to use this drive for your OS, I suggest you make backups of your data unless your OS is on a separate partition.

You can just boot straight into the existing windows but it will complain about all the new hardware - its always best to do a fresh install on a new system.

SiriusB

Associate
OP
So when I transfer the HDD to the new comp and reinstall Windows, will I keep the data currently on it?

Back
Top Bottom