installing gentoo....

Suspended
I installed it yesterday with gentoo-sources, seems stable enough.

Linux gentoo.nozzer.org.uk 2.4.19-gentoo-r9 #1 Thu Oct 31 02:02:26 GMT 2002 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) III CPU 1200MHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Man of Honour
I use gentoo-sources-r10 which is the 2.4.19 kernel with xfs patch :) ... it's masks at the moment so use it with caution. Been running on it for a couple of weeks now and alls fine. gentoo-sources stable is at r9 and doesn't have xfs. If you want to use stable sources and want xfs use xfs-sources.

Permabanned
OP
i went for reiserfs on the / partition, ext3 for the boot and swap for the swap... i dunno much about them, so it was a case of eenie meenie miney mo :)

Permabanned
OP
righty then, i booted the first time and got a kernel panic :(

Code:
read_super_block: can't find reiserfs filesystem on (dev 03:03, block 64, size 1024)
read_super_block: can't find reiserfs filesystem on (dev 03:03, block 8, size 1024)
kernel panic VFS: unable to mount root partition on 03:03

:(

Man of Honour
Thats it! You have a clean install of the Gentoo base system. Next thing to do is proberbly emerge xfree (if you want X that is) and emerge phoenix and other little tools you want :)

Permabanned
If you want to install a package but aren't sure of the package name try:

Code:
emerge -s <name>

If I was looking for a SETI program, not called anything to do with SETI I would try:

Code:
emerge --searchdesc SETI

To install X the command is xfree this can be seen by looking at the line emerge -s xfree

Code:
root@lemming linux # emerge -s xfree
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : xfree ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  x11-base/xfree
      Latest version available: 4.2.1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Homepage: [url]http://www.xfree.org[/url]
      Description: Xfree86: famous and free X server

Shak

Man of Honour
Useful emerge commands

emerge -s "program" will show you what version you have installed and whats the lastest version avaliable.

emerge -p "program" will show you the program you want to install and more importantly will show you all the dependencies (and recommendencies) it will install if you typed emerge "program".

emerge -C "program" will remove a program

emerge -c will remove any duplicate programs (the older one will be removed). Since in Gentoo you can install many versions of the same program.

emerge -c "program" is the same as above but clean a specific program.

emerge -e "program" will download and install your desire program and re-download and install all it's dependencies again.

More can be found by man emerge

Back
Top Bottom